From:
Michel O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 22:14:09 -0500
*** Dear Annamaria.

You blew it if you wanted not to post on the listserv ! As we all do
at one point, you replied to the whole list thinking you were
replying to an individual; but it is a good thing in my viewpoint
because your comment surely represents the view of many on this list.

As I have posted a while ago, all my graduate health promotion class
(17 people, mostly nutritionnists and nurses this time, with a few
others: psychologist, lawyer, kinesiologist, occupational therapist,
etc.) is signed up on click4hp for the term, both for learning how to
use a listserv as well as for content on HP. We had a lively
discussion in class this afternoon, a case study in Raphaeology, and
the opinions were divided. Most people, new to listservs, felt a bit
taken aback by the whole thing and a person made a very relevant
comment: maybe the reactions to Dennis' tone, which she felt not as
rude as many others in the class did, were in reaction to things in
the past (remember:  these students have signed up just a few days,
at most weeks ago.). Whereas several people wondered if Dennis ever
sleeps or disconnects from his computer, most felt his postings were
generally useful but several felt there is no need to be abrasive
(most felt the tone was a bit abrasive, maybe not in the original
posting but on DEnnis's follow-ups) to carry one's view, as you
formulate pretty eloquently below. Many health workers are forced to
do activities they not necessarily agree with and not all are willing
to put their job at stake in refusing to do what their boss asks them
to, even if they not necessarily agree with it; better then to do it
in the best manner possible.

During the last episode of Raphaelology just after the determinants
of health conference a few months ago, where much of the same
concerns were debated, I posted a reaction in the same line as yours
below. So thanks for making it, even if originally it was not
intended for the whole list, it was very useful indeed ! And do write
again to the list; you have much to contribute !

Michel ONeill. ***

--
Michel O'Neill, Ph.D.

Adresse Postale: Faculte des Sciences infirmieres; 4108-J Pavillon
Paul-Comtois, Universite Laval, Quebec, Qc, Canada, G1K 7P4.
Localisation de mon nouveau bureau: Faculte des Sciences infirmieres;
1038-F Pavillon Lacerte, Universite Laval, Quebec, Qc, Canada, G1K
7P4.
tel: +1-(418)-656-2131 #7431; telecopieur: +1-(418)-656-7825
Courrier electronique: [log in to unmask]