From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 08:10:05 -0500
The policy environment is Canada is one that most working people have seen their
salaries stagnate, their services cut, and in many provinces, poor people and
those on social assistance have been berated and marginalized.   This is
especially the case in Ontario, Alberta, and now, BC.  While Canada had been a
world leader in conceptualizing determinants of health -- especially of the kind
that are being weakened --  what we have seen is a turning away in most cases
(See . Sutcliffe, P., Deber, R. & Pasut, G.  (1997). Public Health in Canada: A
Comparative Study. Canadian Journal of Public Health, 88, 246-249. -- if ever
they were there -- of public health from such conceptualizing and applying these
ideas

The Canadian population health initative in its submission to the Romanow
Commission stated:

"[I]n recent years, as the costs and delivery of health care have dominated the
public dialogue, there has been inadequate policy development reflecting these
understandings [on determinants of health]. In fact, Canada has fallen behind
countries such as the United Kingdom and Sweden and even some jurisdictions in
the United States in applying the population health knowledge base that has been
largely developed in Canada."

It is bad enough that millions of dollars ($39,000,000 at last count in Ontario)
is being spent on "lifestyle" programming by the same provincial government that
threatens peoples health by creaing housing, food, and daycare crises.  This in
spite of the limited evidence that this accomplishes anything except to transfer
resources away from community development to these lifestyle activities. )see
Ebrahim, S. and Davey Smith, G. (2001), "Exporting failure?  Coronary heart
disease and stroke in developing nations", International Journal of
Epidemiology, Vol. 30 pp. 201-205.) that questions the effectiveness of all of
the "successes" usually bandied about by the lifestyle crowd.

But I have to tell you when I see that lifestyle programming is going to be
directed at 12-36 month olds that is it!  How can I "respect an opinion" that is
so obviously flawed, that is threatening to families -- I'm sure this will
really really help bonding between their children and parents -- , stigmatizing
and so ignorant of the mental capacities and understandings that two year olds
possess.  I base this view on many years of study in child development and many
hours of interaction with my two year old.  This kid has nightmares about the
bat cave at the Royal Ontario Museum, but publicly funded public health workers
are going to have him and others presented with "smoking prevention messages."!

If that is not "health fascism" it is certainly indoctrination and dangerous.
Call it what you will.

dr