From:
House of Friendship Food Hamper Program <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 23:09:33 -0500
Hi Meredith et al,

The beauty of cut and paste means i can semi-recycle a previous posting.
Hopefully it will help you out.

I strongly agree with Sue in that food insecurity is by far a problem of
adequate income.  Any discussion of food insecurity without addressing
income and social supports is not really helpful to solving the problems.
Broader food security discussions around agriculture and sound land use
planning are helpful and part of a package of solutions but they will have
little short-medium term value to food bank patrons.  Ultimately, food is
still cheap (in southern ontario) but too many people just can't afford it
and the other basics of life.

As for influencing/developing healthy public policy on the issue of food
security, please be sure that people who volunteer/staff food banks are
involved, as well as food bank patrons.  They have much to offer, and
despite lots of platitudes in the healthy community literature, I don't see
such consultation happening in any serious or meaningful manner-yet.  That
kind of process may take longer, but with 10s of thousands of food bank
patrons in solidarity with a proposed policy, it will help speed things
along at the end of the day.

Food bank patrons are also voters (although at a much lower turnout than
higher income voters- and politicians know this) and can be engaged with
time and effort and sensitivity to barriers to participation.  If some
well-meaning person crafts a set of policy recommendations without involving
these folks, further alienation and resentment is a likely outcome.

Regardless, I hear good things about Nova Scotia and food (in)security work
there so you may be further along than other areas I am more familiar with.

Below is the semi-recycled material.  All the best in your work.

Michael Parkinson
House of Friendship
Emergency Food Hamper Program
807 Guelph Street,
Kitchener, ON N2H 5Z2
phone/fax:  519-570-3976
http://houseoffriendship.org

I can offer the following.About two years ago a report was prepared locally
called 'When The Fridge is Bare:  Challenges to Food Security in Waterloo
Region".  The report is ok, and it uses the FSCM (food security core module)
as a tool to measure household food security.  The report itself is
potentially on the web at foodbankwloo.org.

We are at the front end of conducting a formal evaluation of our emergency
food hamper program.  The Toronto Health Communication Unit did a lit review
for us and the results are on their web page under 'work done for other
clients', 'lit reviews'.

The Toronto Food Policy Council has lots of information on their web site.
Also, you may try http://www.foodsecurity.org/links.html

Agriculture Canada has some materials at
http://www.agr.gc.ca/misb/fsb/fsap/part2e.html

and finally, Health Canada has materials as well as the Region of Waterloo
Community Health Dept.  OHPE and OPH have documents too.

from the UK try http://www.foodpolicy.co.uk/foodpolicy/

The Toronto Food Policy Council released a short document called "The Cost
of a Nutritious Food Basket in Toronto 2002" recently.
The report provides information on what it costs to eat nutritiously in
Toronto, and includes easy to use information for doing the exercise
yourself or for your community.  I think it is a good food security-type
exercise that helps illustrate the income problem.

You could get a copy from Wayne Roberts at [log in to unmask]

To access the TFPC site go to:
http://www.toronto.ca/health/tfpc_index.htm

Michael