From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:11:15 -0500

For immediate release
Tuesday, February 18, 2003

            Federal Budget:  A bitter disappointment for child care!

  Today's budget completely ignores the country's need for an early childhood
education and care (ECEC) system and leaves Chretien with no legacy to speak of.

"Today's announcement amounts to only $25 million next year for child care",
explains Shellie Bird, President, Ontario Coalition for Better Child Care
(OCBCC).  "While the rest will come in the following 4 years, it is still far
too small a step.  In fact, assuming that Ontario will receive 40 % of this new
funding next year, which equals $10 million, it only works out to just over $5
per child under 12 in Ontario in the first year!

" Bird continues, "The European Union (EU) has found that to deliver high quality, accessible and affordable ECEC, they are spending 1% of the GDP every year - that would be $10 billion annually for Canada." Cindy Tilson, a parent and chair of the Sudbury Community Child Care Action Network agrees: "Canada cannot under fund ECEC much longer. Everyone knows how important the first 6 years of a child's life are to her intellectual and social development and health. Everyone knows that investing in the early years also makes the most economic sense for a society - every $1 dollar invested in ECEC returns at least $2 later in economic and social benefits. The sooner they commit serious funding the better." "We've been calling on this government to take leadership on bringing a national child care plan to Canada since they themselves made it a priority in 1993. Today, we are again disappointed. We don't yet seem to have the funding and policy framework - the right architecture - that we need, nor do we have the financial commitment," states Cheryl DeGras, Executive Director, OCBCC. DeGras also adds, "Scheduling the bulk of the spending to the end of a 5 year funding plan also makes this commitment very vulnerable to being abandoned down the road. The Finance Minister today spoke of choices - what kind of choice does this give to families?" DeGras is referring to the requirement, hoped for by many across Canada but not indicated by Finance Minister Manley today, but predicted with great confidence in the last few weeks, guaranteeing that only those provinces and territories that comply to funding requirements of accountability and regulated care will be able to participate in the national plan and receive funding. "The OCBCC supports these accountability principles whole-heartedly and was hoping to celebrate the federal government's vision and determination today," says DeGras, continuing: "The children and families of Ontario were counting on our federal government to make child care work in Canada. They want regulated, high quality ECEC. They also support Ontario not receiving another penny for ECEC if there is no way of making sure that they in fact spend it on child care." Cheryl DeGras, Executive Director, OCBCC - 416-538-0628, x 4 Shellie Bird, President, OCBCC - 613-233-0228 Kira Heineck, Public Education Coordinator, OCBCC - 416-538-0628, x 3 Cindy Tilson, Chair, Sudbury Community Child Care Action Network - 705-674-3334                                       -30- The Ontario Coalition for Better Child Care (OCBCC) represents the voices of over 450 members including organizations, agencies, childcare centres, and individuals across the province concerned with the improvement of early childhood education and care in Ontario.