From:
Monique Cliche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 11:29:44 -0600
Hello Meredith!

You've received a lot of information this week about your demand on a
ressource that specifically links high blood pressure and living in
poverty.
I tried to send you that message sooner, but it was rejected by the
listserv. (That was my error).  I don’t know if it will still help you
but... That was my reply :

I read last week a text from Evans (1996) that was making the link
between expectation of live and the social position.  At the page 24 of
that text, they related a study
from Marmot and Theorell(1988) that was comparing the blood pressure of
two types of state employe in the United Kingdom (High ranking and
minor).The pressure was almost
the same when they were at work, but when they were going back home, the
blood pressure was going down more easily for the high ranking people
then for the others.  They said that was probably related to a better
control on their stress.  When your living in poverty, I suppose that
there are a lot of reasons to be stressed. This text was really
interesting, and I thought that you could probably find others
explanations, through that book, that might help you  in your research.

Ref: Evans, R.G."Introduction", from Evans,G.,Barer,M.,Marmor,T., « Être

ou ne pas être en bonne santé », Paris-Montréal, John Libby et PUM,
1996, pp 13-35 on 510,
ISBN:2-7606-1684, 2-7420-0067510

That's a book in French...but...also very interesting!!!
P.S. Michel O’Neill said that’s also an English book, he is away for the
week . He will probably be able to send you the English reference later
on, if you still need it.

You could also visit:  http://www.crchul.ulaval.ca and contact Luc
Poirier searcher at that center for more informations.

Monique Cliche
Student at Laval University