From:
Melody Sylvestre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:41:25 -0500
You may want to consider grants available for senior's organizations and groups.  Funding permits self-direction.  Check out the Centre for Philanthropy - they have a book which lists grants plus an on-line website.

Melody Sylvestre
Research Analyst
City of Toronto
Economic Development, Culture & Tourism
Policy & Development

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/19/03 08:46PM >>>
Hi Erin,

Through my research on advocacy, I found today this reference.
I know it's a bit old, but if that can help...

Mylène Turcotte
Master student in public health
Université Laval, Québec, Canada

------------
    PERSONAL AUTHOR: Kerschner,-Paul-A., ed..
    TITLE: Advocacy and Age: Issues, Experiences, Strategies.
    INSTITUTIONAL NAME (CORPORATE SOURCE): University of Southern
California, Los Angeles. Ethel Percy Andrus Gerontology
    Center.
    PUBLICATION YEAR: 1976
    AVAILABILITY: Ethel Percy Andrus Gerontology Center, University of
Southern California, University Park, Los Angeles, California
    90007 ($3.50 per copy; 10, less 10%; 11-49, less 15%; over 50, less 20%)
    EDRS PRICE: EDRS Price MF01/PC07 Plus Postage.
    MAJOR DESCRIPTORS: *Activism-; *Change-Strategies;
*Cooperative-Planning; *Older-Adults; *Political-Power
    MINOR DESCRIPTORS: Blacks-; Citizen-Participation; Consumer-Protection;
Developmental-Stages; Federal-Regulation;
    Futures-of-Society; Gerontology-; Legal-Aid; Legal-Problems; Mass-Media;
Organizational-Communication; Political-Attitudes;
    Social-Change; Social-Problems
    ABSTRACT: This monograph seeks to bring understanding to one component
of the advocacy field, that of advocacy and the aged, by overviewing this
component through a series of articles. (Advocacy is an activity by which
changes can be effected in a power structure to improve a subgroup's
situation.) There are four parts to the document: part 1, entitled "Issues,"
contains an overview of advocacy as a social movement. In this part, Mark
Berger views major philosophical approaches to the advocacy issue. Paul A.
Kerschner explores the theory of pluralism as it applies to the aged. Neal
E. Cutler examines common misconceptions regarding partisan political
behavior on the part of older adults. Stephen McConnell, Dorothy Fleisher,
Mel Spear, and Jodi Cohn discuss major organizational and policy problems
which constitute the aging/advocacy issue. In part 2, entitled
"Experiences," Margaret E. Kuhn, Hobart C. Jackson, and Barbara Kaplan
provide case studies on advocacy by and for the elderly. In part 3,
"Strategies," students of administration, planning, and community
organizations are provided with a discussion of requisite tools for
implementing advocacy efforts. Paul Nathanson and John L. Lamb focus on
advocacy and the necessity of legal services. James A. Danowski emphasizes
the use of media as a strategy for elderly advocate organizations. A
selected bibliography is included in the final section. (CSS)

Dixit erin gilgan circa 12/03/03 19:59: