From:
Becky Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 13:58:29 -0700
I am currently a grad student in health promotion and I also work in the
area of tobacco reduction. So I am either the "devil incarnate" or on the
"right team" depending on which role you want to put after my name. I really
enjoy helping people quit smoking, all people, from those living in poverty
to middle class SUV polluters. I know that I am out there causing harm by
helping people quit smoking. I totally agree that poverty is the most
impactful determinant of health there is, but why is doing the devil's work
to help those living in poverty to quit smoking? Most smokers want to quit
regardless of socio-economic status. I know quitting smoking is not a
panacea to cure all that ails you, but overcoming addiction is a very
empowering experience for the substance abuser. I think it irresponsible to
dismiss tobacco cessation for persons living in poverty on the basis that
they have bigger problems to contend with, of course they do. But if someone
breaks their leg I'm sure we can all agree that it should be mended,
regardless of their SES, why isn't smoking cessation seen the same way?

Becky Freeman

addressed, and may contain confidential, personal and or privileged
information. Please contact the AADAC e-mail administrator, or the sender,
immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication. Do
not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication
received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed.