From:
"Vini K.Dhillon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 18:40:07 -0500
Ok, so if the underlying cause of obesity/weight gain is  "an imbalance
between intake and energy expenditure," and the solution is simply to engage
in "sufficient
 amounts of physical activity" why then, is the rate of obesity on the rise?
The solution is so easy!! there shouldn't be any "obese" people around, should
there? what are the conditions that lead to eating "improperly"? What might
cause a person to binge on nutritionally deficient foods versus making a nice
healthy organic salad?  what conditions are necessary for one to take an
aerobics class, hire a trainer, or join a gym? The last time I checked, these
activities were not free, nor are they subsidized.

 Ok, so maybe you don't need to join a gym to stay healthy. Running and
walking are free, right?  I have a friend who is a single parent of two and is
on social assistance. She receives approximately $1100/mo. Her apartment costs
approximately $1000/mo. So I guess ALL of the money she has left over could be
invested in a pair of running shoes right?? Yes that's it!! shame on her for
not eating fruits and veggies! So if she wants to go out for a run or a brisk
walk, I guess she could leave her small children with the babysitter, right?
Unfortunately, there aren't any free childcare facilities in her building. Why
is she eating a chocolate bar when she could be working out, or taking her
kids out to play hockey or go skiing! Do you think that stress plays a role in
her life?  Is it possible that she had a poor start in her early life? perhaps
she has been under stress virtually all her life? what are her coping
strategies? Can she just roll up her yoga mat, and head on down to a Hatha
yoga class ??  Are her basic needs being met on social assistance?  Should she
be counting calories or counting pennies??
She is "overweight," but I suppose this is her fault, because she CHOOSES to
be this way!!

Vini K. Dhillon