Sender:
From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:53:28 -0500
The following should be of interest.  I had the opportunity to see it on a visit
last week
to Ottawa to talk about housing -- or the lack of it - as a determinant of
health in Ontario.
The video is about Canada -- not limited to Ontario.

CHEO Takes Lead in Addressing Poverty in Our Communities

 Ottawa  Today, the Children

's Hospital of Eastern Ontario, in the company of  representatives from community hospitals across Eastern Ontario, launched  the video: - Poverty Makes Me Sick -. In coming together in this innovative  manner, the partners add a joint and credible voice - a concerted 'hospital  voice' - to the issue of child and youth poverty in their communties.  Last year, CHEO's Advocacy Committee of the Board of Trustees initiated an  awareness campaign to draw attention to the link between child poverty and  illness. A 4-minute video and information package was produced to encourage  other hospital Trustees and health care professionals to become more active  in this critical community health issue.  Pamela Mountenay Cain, Chair of CHEO's Advocacy Committee believes that "Poverty is a major cause of poor health in children. As hospital  representatives, we can play an active role in our communities and work  towards making a difference. We are on the front lines and can attest to the  impact poverty can have on a child's health and welfare. I'm pleased to be a  part of a project that offers tools and strategies to address this issue in our  various communities."  Among the 17 hospitals that form the Affiliation Agreement Partnership with  CHEO are Almonte General, Arnprior and District, Brockville General, Cornwall  General, Cornwall Hotel Dieu, Pembroke General, Perth & Smiths Falls  District, Glengarry Memorial, Renfrew Victoria, Barry's Bay St-Francis Memorial  and Winchester District Memorial. Representatives from these hospitals were  on hand to show their support for the initiative.  The video includes helpful statistics, lists of key resources and endorsements  and, most importantly, ideas for action at local and national levels. It is  complemented by two 30-second Public Service Announcements which can be  distributed to local media. The "Poverty Makes Me Sick" package may be  purchased for $20 by contacting Nancy Enright by e-mail at  [log in to unmask]  For more information, contact  Nancy Enright at (613) 737-7600 x 2475 http://www.cheo.on.ca/english/1071y.html