From:
Kathy Garnsworthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 09:57:17 -0700
Research Update is a free, quarterly publication that profiles current
research in physical activity.

If you know someone who would like to be added to our mailing list, please
contact Margaret Burns at [log in to unmask] We encourage reprints
of Research Update. If you would like to reprint Research Update or to post
it on your web site, please contact Kathy Garnsworthy at

1. What's in this issue of Research Update?

2. News from the Centre for Active Living.

1. WHAT'S IN THIS ISSUE OF RESEARCH UPDATE?
March's Research Update is now available on our web site at
www.centre4activeliving.ca/Publications/RePublications.html. This issue
contains the following articles:

- "Current Lifestyle Behaviours and Health-Related Quality of Life in
Breast, Colorectal, and Prostate Cancer Survivors"
The authors of this articles were from the Behavioral Research Center at the
American Cancer Society and the Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation
at the University of Alberta.
Authors included Chris M. Blanchard, PhD, Kerry Courneya, PhD,  Kevin D.
Stein, PhD, Frank Baker, PhD, Mary F. Dent, MA, Maxine M. Denniston, MSPH,
and Eric Nehl, MS.

- "The Sociocultural and Biological Reasons for the Weight of Cree Children"
Noreen Willows, PhD, Faculty of Agriculture, Forestry, and Home Economics,
University of Alberta.

2. NEWS FROM THE CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING
- Newspaper insert about healthy living:
The centre made a substantial contribution to the physical activity articles
in a healthy living insert (containing information about nutrition and
physical activity) that will be published on Monday, March 10, in newspapers
across Alberta.

- New version of 101 Active Living Ideas for Older Adults poster:
The centre will publish a revised version of the 101 Active Living Ideas for
Older Adults poster at the end of March. This resource contains many ideas
on how to incorporate active living into daily life. (There will be a small
charge for these posters to cover mailing costs.) For more information or to
order copies, please contact Timothy Fairbank, Older Adult Coordinator, at

- Second edition of Ever Active Adults:
We have revised our curriculum for activity coordinators in Alberta seniors'
lodges. This revised version of Ever Active Adults will be delivered in
workshops across Alberta. For dates and locations, please check our web site
at http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/Education/OlderAdults/EEA.html.

- Information from the Canadian Health Network:
The Alberta Centre for Active Living, in partnership with the Leisure
Information Network, manages the Active Living Health Centre of the Canadian
Health Network (CHN).

Childhood obesity is one of the topics covered on the CHN site, For further
information, click on the links below or do a search on the Canadian Health
Network (http://www.canadian-health-network.ca/1active_living.html):

        - "Are my children active enough?"
(www.canadian-health-network.ca/faq-faq/active_living-vie_active/4e.html).
        - "What can I do to prevent my child from becoming overweight?"
(www.canadian-health-network.ca/faq-faq/children-enfants/9e.html).

- Health Canada is pleased to announce that SummerActive 2003 will run May 9
to June 21, 2003. SummerActive is organized and delivered across Canada by
Health Canada in partnership with provincial-territorial government
departments responsible for physical activity, recreation and sport. It is
designed to help Canadians improve their health by encouraging and
facilitating first steps toward building physical activity into their daily
lives. More information about SummerActive will be available soon on the
SummerActive web site (http://www.summeractive.canoe.ca/).

- The Alberta Centre for Active Living is part of the Faculty of Physical
Education and Recreation at the University of Alberta. This month, the
Faculty's "Focus on Research" features Dr. Dave Collins' work on using
electrical stimulation to probe the mysteries of how humans control
movement. Find out more at
http://www.per.ualberta.ca/images/research/Collins.pdf.

Kathy Garnsworthy
Communications and Marketing Coordinator
Alberta Centre for Active Living
Edmonton AB
Tel.: 780 415-6248 (Mon./Tues./Wed./Fri.)
www.centre4activeliving.ca
"Research and education for the promotion of physical activity."