From:
Fiona Chin-Yee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 14:08:13 -0400
There are a number of areas where we have not made the difference in the
health of the population:

Public Health efforts have not addressed the health disparities within
populations caused by social and economic exclusion.

we have not had an impact on the health of First Nations communities --
their health status and mortality and morbidity statistics remain
significantly below the Canadian average.

we have not addressed the marginalisation of young, single mothers and the
increase risk to their own ill health and that of their children.

Smoking levels in young women have not decreased,  and the activity levels
of young women is significantly below that of their male counter parts.

We are beginning to see the emergence of infectious disease that are either
resistant to pharmaceuticals or are new viruses --  the impact of
infectious disease has been linked to social marginalization,  this is the
case in developing counties--  we need to go back and develop public health
strategies to address TB  in both the First nations communities and the
inner cities.

Public health did a wonderful job of eradicating such diseases as scarlet
fever, small pox and polio -- but the threat of small pox appears to be
back.  The crime against humanity was not to have destroyed that virus when
we had the chance.

So we have lots to do.  The public health agenda needs to go back to its
19th century roots and be embedded in a population health approach with
targeted approached to those who are most excluded.  Addressing the root
causes of poverty will be the most significant way forward.

Fiona Chin-Yee

                      choonmin lee
                      <choonmin2000@YAH        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      OO.COM.AU>               cc:
                      Sent by: Health          Subject:  Ineffective areas of public health
                      Promotion on the
                      Internet

                      2003-04-03 12:33
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      Health Promotion
                      on the Internet

Hello!

Pls. help me my assignment topic -What are the ineffective areas of public
health? What public health issues are getting worse?  What can we do?

Pls. let me know.

Thanks in advance .

Regards.

Lee