From:
Kathy Garnsworthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 09:06:01 -0600
1. LAUNCH OF THE WORKPLACE PHYSICAL ACTIVITY FRAMEWORK

2. OTHER NEWS FROM THE ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING

1. LAUNCH OF THE WORKPLACE PHYSICAL ACTIVITY FRAMEWORK
The Alberta Centre for Active Living is pleased to announce the publication
of the Workplace Physical Activity Framework. The Framework contains two
parts—a Program Standard and Audit Tool.

The Program Standard is a guide to what is needed to start and/or sustain a
workplace physical activity program. Research has found that few employees
participate in workplace exercise and fitness programs. This tool goes
beyond these programs to look at physical activity in a much larger context.

The Program Standard includes information on elements that can affect
workplace physical activity participation, including

- an individual or group to champion the program;

- commitment from company management;

- developing a company policy on physical activity in the workplace;

- carrying out a needs assessment of employees;

- identifying barriers to physical activity.

The second part of the Framework is the Audit Tool. This tool is a way to
measure a company’s program against the standard, so that the program can
constantly improve.

You can download copies of the Workplace Physical Activity Framework (free
of charge) from the Alberta Centre for Active Living’s web site
(http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/research/resresources.html). So that we
can track users of this resource, we will ask you to fill in some
information before downloading the Framework.

If you have any questions about this resource, please contact us at

2. OTHER NEWS FROM THE ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING

- Visit from the federal Minister of Health
On Thursday, July 10, the Hon. Anne McLellan, federal Minister of Health,
visited the Alberta Centre for Active Living. The Minister toured the centre
and discussed centre research and projects with staff. We are very pleased
that the Minister accepted our invitation to find out more about our work.

- CIHR Grant for Pediatric Overweight Study
Dr. Dru Marshall (Assistant Dean of the Faculty of Physical Education and
Recreation at the University of Alberta and chair of  the Alberta Centre for
Active Living's Executive Management Group) and colleagues Noreen Willows,
Kim Raine, and Linda McCargar have been awarded a major CIHR grant. The
grant amounts to $303,700 for three years ($100,050.00 per year for three
years and $6,600.00 for equipment). This funding will enable the team to
study pediatric overweight in Cree communities in James Bay, Quebec.

- Diabetes Research Grant Awarded to Dr. Ron Plotnikoff
Dr. Ron Plotnikoff, Senior Research Associate at the Alberta Centre for
Active Living, was recently awarded a grant from the Canadian Diabetes
Association for $98,865 over two years. The title of Dr. Plotnikoff's study
is  "An examination of physical activity behaviour and its determinants and
health-care status and health-care delivery: A three-point, 18-month,
population-based prospective cohort study of adults with diabetes."

- We walk the talk!
Alberta Centre for Active Living staff recently won the Leisure Information
Network's active living challenge (issued on the national Activitalk
listserv). Centre staff clocked an amazing 12,630 minutes of activity over
two weeks (an average of 1,403 minutes per person).

- Tracy Chalmers Kitagawa
We are very sorry to lose our Resource Coordinator, Tracy Chalmers Kitagawa,
who is leaving us to take up a position with Grant McEwan College in
Edmonton. In the nine years she was with us, Tracy helped hundreds of
clients with information requests. We wish Tracy all the best in her new
position!

- SummerActive in Alberta
SummerActive is a national six-week campaign that takes place every May and
June to promote physical activity and help develop healthy lifestyles.
Alberta's reputation for getting SummerActive marked another milestone in
2003.  According to the national SummerActive web site statistics,

- 29,194 Canadians got active in 371 events;

- 20,909 Albertans got active in 109 events (in other words, Alberta
represented two-thirds of all Canadian participants and close to one-third
of all events!).

For more information about SummerActive, visit the official web site at
www.summeractive.canoe.ca.

Kathy Garnsworthy
Communications and Marketing Coordinator
Alberta Centre for Active Living
Edmonton AB
Tel.: 780 415-6248 (Mon./Tues./Wed./Fri.)
www.centre4activeliving.ca
"Research and education for the promotion of physical activity."