From:
NADER NASSIF <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 11:44:32 -0600
would like to point out a few things. Religious beliefs may in fact be
helpful for health promotion practices. As scientists We have a tendency to
consider  religious myths as irrelevant or counterproductive. One thing we
do not think about is the fact that people who have faith go to God, saints
or other religious symbols for guidance and help. I feel that this is
nothing more than seeking social support. As health educators, we should
learn about these "relationships" and try to incorporate them in our
interventions. The beliefs of the middle ages are far from being a thing of
the past. Yet, I believe that by being thoughtful, tactful and creative, we
can use some of these beliefs to help people and that exploring their
beliefs can indeed allow us to better frame our health messages.

Nader Nassif
Doctoral Candidate
The University of Alabama at Birmingham
Birmingham AL USA