Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 12:22:33 -0500
Hi Sara
My information is not too current. I initiated the collective kitchens of
Windsor Essex (1990) and I was the Executive Director of London Region Good
Food Project (1994 - 1998). I also sat on the management committee of the
Smart Start program (1994 - 1999) where we did nutrition programs as well. I
hope that what I have to say helps.

Does anyone know of any research that shows that the provision of snacks at
programs improves a participant's nutritional status or encourages
participation?
***Snacks especially nutritious snacks will not only get them there it will
teach a great deal about healthy affordable foods. By role-modelling what a
good food is, how to prepare it, how easy it is to prepare etc. your
participants will begin to demonstrate their understanding by showing some
interest in being part of the planning. Eventually they can plan the snacks,
shop for them and prepare them. Clean up is a slightly higher hurdle, but
imho it should be part of the entire process. Organizational skills will
assist their nutritional intake, because they will learn how to shop,
prepare and perhaps even share those super savings by buying in large
quantities and dividing the 5 lb bag into 3 smaller portions. Think of the
math they are learning!!

If the goal is to improve one's nutritional status, are food coupons the way
to go?  And does the provision of coupons make any significant difference in
addressing food security?
***Most of our participants found that coupons were stigmatizing. What you
might do is shop at a wholesale produce place for bargains and then divide
the price by the number of participants. Learning how to shop the flyers
will enable your participants to continue their cost effective nutritious
shopping long after your program ends. This is far more empowering than
being handed a coupon which will expire. I often find, myself, that I find
that great buy or coupon the day after the offer expires....

Does providing tokens address the barrier of transportation for
participants?
***Bus tickets work for some. We found that we gave two bus tickets to
participants when they arrived. This allowed them to get home and come back
again. But the first arrival had to hinge on their own motivation. Bus
tickets can be a little tricky, but transportation has been proven time and
again as an obstacle to many healthy lifestyle choices. In London the LTC
started to charge for children as soon as they entered kindergarten - that
provided an extra barrier. Child care is also a barrier for some to attend.
Community development has often been called the longest road between two
points and when you start identifying barriers for some of our participants
you can see how it got the moniker. Also language and literacy can present
monumental challenges for participants.

We're looking at a policy addressing access and equity (snacks and tokens
are  just one small area obviously!) and I just wondered if there was
anything concrete on this.
***I would love to come and "consult" with you folks. This was my all-time
best "job" and I still believe in the healthy-lifestyle lessons we learned
from all our participants whether they were single parents, at -risk, living
in poverty, elderly or new Canadians. They taught me so much, I only hope I
was able to share as much with them.

Workshops, Seminars, Counseling
Great Direction!
Helping YOU to soar to new heights!