From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 07:16:02 -0500
Click for Hpers may be interested in how heart health is promoted in Ontario.
The program is STRICTLY  limited to exhorting people to not smoke, sit around,
or eat fries.  Indeed,  any effort I make to raise issues of context and social
structure as determinants of heart disease are censored from their list-serve.
Upcoming papers in Health Education and Health Promotion International provide
all the sordid details.

One example is the following which simply presents latest US developments in
raising isues of fairness,justice, and equity in public health activities.
Obviously not appropriate for anyone promoting heart health in Ontario.
Considering that heart health activities are now being expanded into general
chronic diseases, do not expect to hear that heart health networks in Ontario
are emerging as leaders in conceptualizing the causes and means of minimizing
the incidence of these diseases.

The following is the message I am sending to the heart health moderator.  I
would appreciate any responses focussing on the content of the message rather
than the messenger!

Dear Heart Health Listserve Moderator:

Since you are clearly not posting such messages as the following, please go
ahead and remove me from this list. I will surely make the point in my upcoming
presentations and papers of pointing out how the heart health list-serve owners
and moderators seem terrified of any information that add to the discussion of
the causes of heart disease beyond "lifestyle choices."

Best wishes,

Dennis Raphael

Subject:  US developments in promoting public health

The following is the website and latest newsletter URL of NACCHO (National
Association of County and City Health Officials). It represents 18,000 public
health organizations in the USA. Your work may  benefit from some of the ideas
and developments taking place in public health in the USA.

http://archive.naccho.org/Documents/naccho-exchange-winter-2002.pdf

http://www.naccho.org/

dr