From:
Lindsay McLaren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 22:16:36 -0600
Hello, I'm interested in a response (perhaps from Dr. Raphael or other
experts in poverty and health) to a couple of naive questions:

1.  We know that poverty (including all synonyms) and health are related.
However we also know that behaviours (diet, exercise) are related to
health.  Is it assumed, or known, that reducing poverty or evening out
inequalities leads to reduction in prevalence of unhealthy behaviours?  If
an individual moves from poverty to middle class, do we know that he/she
will stop smoking, eating poorly, and being sedentary?

2.  I was reading a little bit about income experiments (child care
subsidies, tax credits for poor families, housing allowances) that took
place in the US mainly during the 1970s.  In general, these studies had
little or mixed impact on 'health' outcomes measured - such as low birth
weight and school attendance, and actually had some negative outcomes such
as increased marital dissolution (the ones that targeted "in-tact" families).

Many of the comments on this list suggest that elimination of poverty and
income inequalities is the solution to health - but I'm not clear on how the
above points are dealt with.

Lindsay McLaren

Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]> said:

> Remind me again how exercising, eating fruits and vegetables, and quitting
> smoking is going to improve the health of Ontarians...
> ---------------------------
> News Release
>  Released:July 08, 2003
>
>  Bitter strikes, rationed services, increasing poverty
>  and homelessness, and a crumbling social safety net
>  legacy of Tory policies
>
>  Toronto - The Ontario Conservative government's social service
>  spending cuts are a false economy leading to growing poverty and
>  homelessness, less home care support services, fewer affordable child
>  care spaces, and increasing labour disputes in the community agency
>  sector, say members of a social justice labour alliance.
>
>  Many community-based social service agencies are in a deficit
>  situation, and in an effort to stay afloat financially, are extracting
wage
>  and benefit concessions from already low-paid workers. Bitter strikes,
>  like the one now underway at Toronto's Central Neighbourhood House,
>  a community agency that provides home support, shelter and youth
>  services, and child care, are becoming increasingly commonplace in
>  the sector.
>
>  "It's important to connect the dots about how our crumbling social
>  safety net is directly related to the social service policies of this
>  government. Increasing poverty and homelessness, cash-strapped
>  community agencies, and workers subsidizing services through wage
>  rollbacks, are the result of eight years of detrimental Conservative
>  social service policies and chronic underfunding," said Brian O'Keefe,
>  secretary-treasurer of the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE)
>  at a Queen's Park media conference held today.
>
>  Ultimately, the social and financial costs of the Conservative polices -
>  such as increasing child poverty, lack of affordable housing and child
>  care, and a growing wage gap for immigrant workers - will far outweigh
>  the immediate money savings, said Jane Mercer, executive coordinator
>  with the Toronto Coalition for Better Child Care (TCBCC), and Michael
>  Shapcott, a researcher on homelessness and shelter with the
>  University of Toronto.
>
>  "The City of Toronto has cut more than 1,600 subsidized child care
>  spaces in the last twelve months as a result of the shortfall in
provincial
>  funding. Now another 500 are on the chopping block. Every time we
>  turn around, we are losing more subsidies. Child care is a vital
>  employment support for working families, and the long-term cost of not
>  funding it properly is highly irresponsible," said Mercer.
>
>  Since 1995, the Tory government has cut $879.1 million from provincial
>  housing programs, and Ontario has lost 23,300 affordable social
>  housing units.
>
>  "That," said Shapcott, "is in addition to another 59,600 affordable social
>  housing units that should have been built. In the Tories' two terms in
> [...]
To view archives or modify subscription see:
http://listserv.yorku.ca/archives/click4hp.html