From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 09:32:10 -0400
---------------------- Forwarded by Dennis Raphael/Atkinson on 07/09/2003 09:48
AM ---------------------------

Mel Bartley <[log in to unmask]> on 07/09/2003 06:13:37 AM

 To:       Dennis Raphael/Atkinson

 cc:       [log in to unmask]

 Subject:  Re: remind me again...

Well, that is a good question. There is pretty good
evidence that not smoking and possibly eating more
fruit and veg decrease the risk of diseases that are
major causes of premature mortality. There is also
a debate on whether this is the case only for people
who don't have other major health risks such as
poverty. I would think non-smoking must actually
be a better choice in strict health terms no matter
what your economic situation. However, the next
question is why should anyone living under such
conditions NOW worry about a disease they might
get in 20-30 years' time? And the next question is
about the ethics of threatening people who already
have so many serious problems with health doom
unless they begin behaving in a more middle
class way. I have never actually seen a study
of disease incidence or mortality in a very
disadvantaged population comparing those who
did and did not smoke, come to think of it.
Someone else might know one?