From:
Shane Holten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 15:34:31 -0400
Hi everyone,

With respect to website evaluations .... I would like to suggest that if
you're going
through the formal process of 'evaluating' existing websites, dont forget to
include a full
evaluation from an accessibility perspective that addresses the needs of
persons with varying disabilities and/or who use assistive technology - as
we all know inclusive access to health information is a vital
consideration....

As an example, pamphlets/brochures are often made available in electronic
format on health related websites - with details on how to obtain a version
of such publications in "alternate formats" often listed at the end of such
a publication. However, this info is of no value to an individual with a
disability that cannot access this electronic document in the first place!
People with disabilities need to independently access important health
information like everybody else but are often unable to do so. Obviously
there are no easy solutions for everything but thats the great advantage to
this listserv, we can all share different perspectives and potentially raise
greater awareness to issues we might not always think about or have little
experience with. Furthermore, considerations for one group may also benefit
others and have spin-off effects - more 'universal' applications....

Some resources Im aware include:

1. designing a more "usable world" Trace Centre:
(http://trace.wisc.edu/world/web/)
2. W3C validator (www.w3.validator.org)
3. "Bobby" automated program - (www.cast.org/bobby)
4. The web accessibility initiative - (http://www.w3.org/WAI/) or policies
related to web accessibility (http://www.w3.org/WAI/Policy/)
5. Adaptive Technology Resource Centre - Univ. of Toronto -
(http://www.utoronto.ca/atrc/)

Hope this helps!
shane

Shane Holten, M.E.S
President, SPH Planning & Consulting Ltd.
166 Wilson Avenue, Suite 403
Toronto,ON
M5M 3A6

Ph:   (416) 721-3391