From:
Kathy Garnsworthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 14:17:16 -0600
FALL 2003 ISSUE OF WELLSPRING: WORKOUT! PHYSICAL ACTIVITY IN THE WORKPLACE

1. About WellSpring

2. What's in this issue?

3. News from the Alberta Centre for Active Living

-----------------------------------

1. ABOUT WELLSPRING

WellSpring, published by the Alberta Centre for Active Living three times a
year, provides information about best practices, topical issues, recent
research, and policy related to physical activity. The centre is supported
by the Alberta Sport, Recreation, Parks & Wildlife Foundation and Alberta
Community Development and is part of the University of Alberta's Faculty of
Physical Education and Recreation.

We welcome reprints of WellSpring. If you would like to reprint WellSpring
articles or to post them on your web site, simply contact Kathy Garnsworthy
at 780 415-6248 or [log in to unmask]

If you or someone you know would like to be added to the centre's mailing
list (to receive free information related to physical activity), please
contact Margaret Burns at
780 427-6949 or [log in to unmask]

---------------------------------------

2. WHAT'S IN THIS ISSUE?

To view the entire issue, visit
www.centre4activeliving.ca/Publications/WellSpring/index.html.

This issue focuses on workplace active living and includes the following
articles:

- Physical Activity in the Workplace: Why Bother?
By Joanne Gesell, MA, Education Coordinator, Alberta Centre for Active
Living.

- Ever Active Workplaces.
By Lindsay Wright, BPE, Alberta Be Fit for Life Network.

- A Framework for Building a Workplace Physical Activity Program.
By Val Mayes, HBOR, MEd, Consultant with Building Connections Training and
Consulting.

- What's Shaking at the University of Alberta? A Best-Practice Workplace
Wellness Plan.
By Kathy Garnsworthy, Communications and Marketing Coordinator, Alberta
Centre for Active Living.

3. NEWS FROM THE ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING

- The centre recently published the Workplace Physical Activity Framework, a
guide to starting and sustaining a workplace physical activity program. This
three-year project, headed by Dr. Ron Plotnikoff, the centre's Senior
Research Associate, was a response to a needs assessment that identified an
urgent need for a program standard for active living in the workplace. Visit
www.centre4activeliving.ca/research/resresources.html to view the framework.

- You will notice that we've redesigned WellSpring to make it more
compatible with the look of our other publications. Let us know what you
think about the new design! Visit the centre's web site at
www.centre4activeliving.ca/Publications/WellSpring/index.html and fill in
the WellSpring survey.

- Did you know that the centre's web site has its own survey? Let us know
what works (and what doesn't!). To fill out the survey, click on the "Web
Site Survey" tab at the top of our home page (www.centre4activeliving.ca).

- Health In Action would like to introduce Karena Apps Eccles as our Project
Manager.  Karena was previously a member of our project team as the
representative for our funding agency, Alberta Health and Wellness. We look
forward to having Karena on our team. To find out more about Health In
Action, visit our web site at www.health-in-action.org.

- The launch of the Alberta Health Living Framework and the Alberta Healthy
Living Network (AHLN) will take place on Nov. 7 in Calgary, Alberta.
Albertans will have the chance to participate in the launch at
teleconference sites around Alberta. More details about the launch will soon
be available on the AHLN web site
(www.health-in-action.org/AHLN/index.shtml).

Kathy Garnsworthy
Communications and Marketing Coordinator
Alberta Centre for Active Living
Edmonton AB
Tel.: 780 415-6248 (Mon./Tues./Wed./Fri.)
www.centre4activeliving.ca
"Research and education for the promotion of physical activity."