From:
Jane Gillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:09:16 -0500
I think we're stepping into very dangerous territory when we encourage
people to eat with abandon highly processed chemical-laden foods such as
margarines, crackers and packaged cookies, which we know have minimal
nutritional value and are full of artificial substances.  Common sense - and
our gut instincts if nothing else - tells us that for optimal health we
should eat a diet which focuses on vegetables, fruits, whole grains and
proteins that are as fresh and unprocessed as possible.  I firmly believe
any foods containing trans-fats are as far from that definition as you can
get, and should be eaten selectively, no matter what the studies might have
shown to date.

I am fully supportive of a determinants of health approach, and the argument
that public funds are frequently wasted in preaching to low income people
that they should quit smoking, exercise and eat healthier foods if they want
to live longer.  All of us who subscribe to this network are working toward
reducing the social and economic disparities which we now know are such a
contributing factor to health outcomes.  That doesn't mean that those of us
who do have education and a decent income should ignore what we know to be
risk factors, such as smoking and poor diet.

Jane Gillman
Senior Health Planner
Hamilton District Health Council
10 George Street, Suite 301