From:
Larry O'Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:07:19 -0500
Dear Fellow Clickers,

It is said that all politics is local. So on a local note a member of of
of Health and Social Services committee ( like a Board of Health) in
Durham introduce a motion to target children that smoke. The a motion
that passed at asked the Ontario government to criminalize youth that
smoke.  That motion goes to goes to Durham Region Council in less than
two weeks.  I would hope put an end to such a foolish motion before it
has a chance to go any where.  I have long held the been opinion that
Children are the victims of the Tobacco industry.  Can you send me what
you might have?

I am very proud of the fact that Durham has a fairly progressive
Regional Smoking bylaw, but since the province is now finally going to
introduce strong provincial legislation, which is why this motion came
forward now.  Having Ontario Smoke-Free is the Ontario Government goal.
Part of the government's comprehensive tobacco control strategy,
includes: a goal to protect people from second-hand smoke through a
proposed smoking ban in all workplaces and public places, and
initiatives to prevent young people from starting to smoke.  That does
not mean blaming the victims.

I may need to get to the local youth organizations in Durham Region
before this gets to far.  I would  like encourage any clickers involved
in Public Health that have any connection to Durham Region to help send
a strong message to the Council that this is not the appropriate way to
help protect our children against the Tobacco Industry.  That if youth
are going to be the target of any legislation that it must be to protect
them not criminalize them.  If you have a connection to any Youth
programs in Durham that don't want to see their clients being unfairly
criminalized please offer them support to stop this initiative.

As a past Chair of the Health and Social Services, I want you to know
that this motion should never have been forwarded to Council without
having either staff report or a public discussion.  Since this motion is
going to Durham Regional Council as a position to be endorsed on March
2nd, the timelines are very short.  If you can email me anything that
would be great or better still if you wish to write to Durham Regional
Council directly that would be best sent attention before the end of this week:

Patrica Madill, Clerk
605 Rossland Road
Box # 623
Whitby, ON
L1N 6A3

905 668-1567

Larry O'Connor, Durham Regional Councillor
Brock Township
705 357-3011hm
905 644-5777wk
705 432-3487fx