From:
Larry Howe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2018 04:55:42 +0000
Twain forum members:

Please see the following call for proposals:

Dear Forum members:

Mark Twain Circle Panel for MLA 2019, Chicago January 3-6.

Mark Twain and Gender
Although Mark Twain's writing shows a partiality toward masculine experiences and perspectives, critical scholarship in the last 20 years or so has chipped away at the masculine critical bias. The Mark Twain Circle seeks proposals for papers that pursue these gender investigations further, re-interpreting representations of masculinity, femininity, or cross-dressing in the writings of Mark Twain or the influence of gendered social conventions on the life of Samuel Clemens.

We welcome research perspectives that highlight the ways in which gender intersects with race and class. MLA requires that all presenters be members of MLA at the time of the panel's submission to the program.  Membership in the Mark Twain Circle is desirable but not mandatory. We especially encourage submissions from emerging scholars and members of underrepresented groups.

Send proposals to Larry Howe, Vice-president of the Mark Twain Circle:  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Deadline:  March 1, 2018

Larry Howe
Professor of English & Film Studies
Department of Literature and Languages
Roosevelt University
Editor, Studies in American Humor (2018)
Vice-president, Mark Twain Circle of America