From:
"Jareoslaw G. Wechowski" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 14:51:50 +0100
Arguing with hard research data is pointless - they speak for themselves.
There are many more findings implying that substance X changes or correlates
with the change of phenomenon Y. There are legitimate studies supporting the
beneficial effect of somoking on some molecular or clinical variable. I am
sure that soon some researcher will announce studies showing negative
relationship between cell phone use and some neuromodulator which, in turn,
is implicated in pathogenesis of disease Z. Reductionistic research is
neither right or wrong is simply relates to simplified world. Even with
pharmaceuticals, clinical and pharmacoeconomic studies are one thing and
actual prescription patterns - quite another. There are studies showing that
more people die because of car pollution than in car accidents and there are
also studies showing that cars save lives, just like cell phones do.

It is therefore not the studies themselves, but what people make of them,
that really matters. Social psychologists discovered that when people are
presented with conflincting  information, such as about what is good or bad
for you - they display conformist behavior. Where source A is saying
"butter" and source B - margarine, people will tend to reinforce old habits.
Even occasional mention "to the contrary" may ruin the advertising strategy.
That is why anti-advertisers, such as Adbusters.org are hated enemy. The
same works for health promotion: occasional media revelation of benefits of
smoking (even last year!), alcohol (it affects positively cholesterol,
studies show, but ruins your body and mind and accelerates aging), exclusive
red meat diet etc. does the job. People want to conform and they are looking
for justifications, to maintain peace of mind and self-esteem.

The real question is: shall we ruin their peace of mind and self-esteem? A
friend a mine, a practicing family physician, says that he is not pointing
out bad habits to his patients. He has done his reading and knows that only
a massive media campain ("brain washing") could effectively change people's
behaviour and talking to patients about their habits and weaknesses could
make things worse, and that they could also switch to another doctor who is
more "lenient".

What is even more intersting, studies show (studies again :) that healthier
people are neither more nor less happy than the sick in several countries
studied, with the exception of acute pain. Yes, we declare that health
matters most, but when push comes to shove we choose other priorities,
mostly immediate consumption pleasure. Why bother making people healthier
then? Rational addiction theorists would just leave it all to the individual
whose rational behavior is axiomatic.

And now back to coffee. It gives pleasure, it helps socialize, its increases
GDP, gives employment. If we forget about the exploited workers in the
developing world, we can easily relax with a cup of Java. For the more
socially sensitive there is also a Fair Trade option. And while relaxing we
can only hope there will be no War for Coffee, since the second largest
world producer of this crop is - after Brasil - Vietnam, still communist.

To wrap up, I believe that health promotion people should be very critical
of casual findings and always see the big picture. We have plenty research
and generations' experience on what is good and what is bad to change the
world, it is that systemic motivational mechanisms are lacking. And one more
thing about the "accurate data", say on cost-effectiveness: In corporate
strategic management actual market research data and other "analytical data"
play little role. They are more symbolic, they make the organization look
rational, and this belief actually makes them more rational, regardless of
the data. Strategic decision makers see the big picture and follow the
mision, they develop a culture, for instance "marketing culture". This
culture is a paradigm for finding answers and asking questions. If we adopt
what I call "preventive paradigm" we will follow the mission and occasional
news about healing properties of coffee will be understood in its own terms.

Personally I like coffee very much, only it is "grain coffee" made from
barley, rye, beets and chickory. Poland is supposed to be number 1 producer
and Japan number 1 consumer of this specialty known for centuries in this
neck of the woods, now largely crowded out by the "real thing". It also
hepls socialize and relax and even if studies showed it caused cancer I
would be reluctant to give it up :)

Jaroslaw G. Wechowski, M.D.
Ph.D. cand. (management)
Warsaw School of Economics