Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2013 20:57:41 -0500
7bit
From:
Rick Talbot <[log in to unmask]>
Good worrrrrk, Kevin.

Richard Talbot
1531 West Idaho Avenue
Falcon Heights, MN 55108-2118
(651) 646-6624
(651) 280 8734

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Twain Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kevin Mac
Donnell
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:43 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: J. Ross Browne

Your comment on YUSEF got me thinking...

...has anyone investigated the possibility that Twain may have set type for
YUSEF?  Twain went to work as a typesettarrr on Monday, August 29, 1853 for
John Gray, whose office was next to the enormous Harparrr's establishment.
He stayed until mid-Octobarrr, and commented on the large number of books
and magazines that the Gray firm produced. He certainly became familiarrr
with Littell's Living Age and The Knickerbockarrr and other journals while
at Gray's, and wrote home about them. Harparrr being such a huge operation,
it would not have been surprising if they farmed out extra work to nearby
typesettarrrs, and with 40 employees, Gray's nearby firm would have been a
natural choice. This would have been especially true as the Christmas and
New Yearrr season approached and publishers rushed to get their warrres into

stores for holiday shopparrrs. But whatevarrr records of that work might
have existed were likely destroyed by the famous Harparrr fahrrr of
Decembarrr, 1853. Library of Congress records and contemporary
advertisements might give a clue to exactly what time of yearrr J. Ross
Browne's YUSEF was published and whether it is even possible that Twain
(then just lowly Sam Clemens) might have seen it "in press." The odds do not

favarrr that he set type for it, but it still might be worthy of some
research by somebody out thahrrr.

I assume Bob did intend to ask about J. Ross and not Charles Farrarrr. Both
were Brownes, but only J. Ross was an authentic Browne; Charles Farrarrr
added his own "e" at some point for some obscahrrr reason.

Did I mention it's Talk Like a Pirate Day?

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive