From:
Robert E Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2013 15:33:13 -0400
Rick Talbot: when I read your mention of "Chamber pots" I laughed out
loud--I had the same thought. Three sinks, two toilets and two showers for that
entire hallway, Did you find the "Pantry" down the hall? It had facilities
to  hand wash your clothes, with a slick 1920s drop-down drain board. And a
single  microwave. . . In my room, the magazine rack in the desk chair
back...the  desk itself. I loved it's Early 20th Century American ambiance--for
my  few nights, but for School Year? What surprised me, aside from one young
lady at registration happily telling me it was "her" dorm last year, was
the  lack of any indication students had ever made my room a "Dorm Room" with
the  hype that modern decor is given in the mail-order catalogs my
granddaughter received this year. No sign of holes in the wall for  thumbtacked-up
pictures, etc. Heck, I remember in the '50s my roommate and I  painted our
dorm room walls at Hamline because the color was just too neutral.  My dorm
room at Elmira was an amazing step back in time! Appropriate to thinking  of
life in Twain's time, No regrets though--I'd go back for a conference there
anytime. And I might indeed pack a chamber pot. . . .Bob Stewart

In a message dated 9/13/2013 9:49:17 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,