From:
Gillian MacKay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 1996 21:58:09 -0500
I am a 2nd year Masters of Health Promotion student at the U of Toronto. I
am currently working on a term paper that is analysing the recently
implemented measles campaign in Ontario.  This policy, which was
estimated to cost about $5 million to implement, and was implemented
earlier this year, would see Ontario's school children receiving a double
dose of the vaccine.

 In addition to questioning the cost effectiveness of
this policy in light of the extreme pressure that public health
professionals are currently under, I am looking into some of the political
factors that may have contributed to the development of this policy (i.e.
why this policy, why now?).  Is a measles campaign an effective use of
limited public health resources (i.e. time, staff, vaccines)?

While I have been able to locate plenty of epidemiology information
related to measles immunization, the political component is much harder to
uncover....   Does any one have any thoughts on this issue...

Thanks, and have a great day!!

Gillian MacKay