From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 06:59:44 -0400
---------------------- Forwarded by Dennis Raphael/Atkinson on 10/22/2003
07:04 AM ---------------------------

"Khatri, Rosemary" <[log in to unmask]> on 10/22/2003 05:30:01 AM

To:    <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>
cc:

Subject:    RE: origin of term "social determinants of health"

terminology may not be exact but looking at the US and French Revolutions
in the late 18th century infers social determinants of health. The book by
Dorothy Porter (1999) Health, Civilisation and the State , published by
Routledge, is an excellent text for unearthing the role of governance in
promoting health. She cites Thomas Jefferson who said that
"sick people were the product of a sick political system" and that
"democracy liberated health" and "a life of political liberty and the
pursuit of happiness would automatically be a healthful one" see Porter
1999 page 57
It was the utilitarians in Britain who begrudginly admitted the
socio-economic and environmental determinants of a healthful existence -
which of course included a massive moral dimension, and which influenced
the early Public Health Movement and sanitary reforms in mid 19th century.
I say begrudingly because of course it has always been the problem for
liberals, in terms of how much state intervention is necessary towards a
healthful existence, without damaging the autonomy of the individual.
Now of course the ancient greeks - the cradle of democracy - Plato and
Aristotle had much to say about health, well-being and the pursuit of the
good life, or human happiness and no doubt some reference can probably be
found to support their knowledge of social determinats of health - though
they probably never used the actual terminololgy.
There's not a lot of new thinking around this theory, just new ways for
governments and states to avoid doing anything constructive to enhance
postive social determinants and reduce negative ones. And increasingly of
course focusing largely on amoral arguements around economic concerns,
balancing the books, making services more efficient etc.
Just thought of another reference - possibly Thomas More's Utopia written
in ?? 16th century. He had a lot to say about inequalities.
Hope this helps
Rose