From:
Meredith Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:48:59 -0400
Hi Louise and other Clickers.

I forwarded your message to Clare O'Connor, Director of Policy and
Government Relations for the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Nova Scotia. I
don't know if she's been in touch with you but she has done a lot of work on
health promotion advocacy in our province and made substantial progress with
this issue during our recent election in Nova Scotia.

Since the provincial government created the Office of Health Promotion there
have been a lot of discussions on what is an appropriate advocacy role for
health charities. When tobacco companies meet with provincial politicians to
provide “evidence” that bans on smoking decrease business in bars and
restaurants it seems appropriate for health charities to provide evidence to
the contrary.

Is it equally appropriate for health charities to provide evidence to
government on the links between cardiovascular disease and poverty? Or to
work with a group of volunteers to develop a provincial strategy on stroke
care and then work to have that strategy adopted as provincial policy (as is
the case here in NS and we have made lots of headway with government on the
latter issue thanks to the work that Clare and others have done)?

In the case of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Nova Scotia we have
decided that all of the above are appropriate roles. Since we don’t receive
funding from the provincial government our position is simplified in that
regard.

I am sure that Clare would be happy to discuss these and our other advocacy
and policy development activities with you or anyone else on the list. She
can be reached by email at [log in to unmask] or by phone at
902.423.7530.

Regards,

Meredith
Meredith Campbell
Leaders Among Us Manager
Heart and Stroke Foundation of Nova Scotia
5523 Spring Garden Road, Suite 204
Halifax, Nova Scotia  B3J 3T1
Phone:      902.423.7530
Fax:          902.492.1464