From:
Ed Blonz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 08:52:45 -0800
Dr Raphael,

Your information on trans fat is dated and in my opinion, inaccurate.  There
is published evidence that goes well beyond the summary of the one
epidemiological study that is the basis of the summary offered by the
junkscience website in 1999 - and that you now use for your letter to the
Globe and Mail.   Even the junk science site has more information.  This
site provides a journalist's review - not an analyis by a trained scientist.
Do a medline on "trans fat" or  "elaidic acid," which is the 18:1 trans
fatty acids made during the partial hydrogenation process.    There is so
much more than this one population study.   Couple this with the fact that
the data bases that assess the level of trans fat intake are way off.  There
wasn't data on many food categories and products so the level of inate was
underestimated.  The USDA is only now beginning to do the requisite analyses
so that we can get a more accurate picture.   For a more recent journalistic
perspective - at least from the U.S., you should read the award winning
article at:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/01/30
/FD40307.DTL

Regards,