From:
Diana Daghofer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:09:14 -0500
Hi Melissa,

Some of the resources on the Health Canada Hep C site
(http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/hepc/hepatitis_c/library.html) may be
useful, particularly the paper on Mediums to Reach Injection Drug Users
- A Discussion Paper.
<http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/hepc/hepatitis_c/pdf/careDiscMediums.pdf>
This report examines 'the ways and means' of reaching those most at risk
of contracting the hepatitis C virus, the people who inject or who are
at risk of injecting drugs.

Also, Youth Co, a Vancouver-based youth-led organization, has done some
innovative work. Their video, /Filter, the Facts about Hepatitis C,
/made a big impression on street youth who participated in focus groups
we conducted on programs and media that would attract their attention
with a hep C prevention message. I think the tricky part of the
'transition' time is that youth who inject once or twice don't consider
themselves 'IV drug users' and tune out messages directed to that group.
The video hit them, in that it focused on two youth who were exactly in
that position - "not IV users, just tried it once." I don't think Youth
Co has a web site, but if you like, I'd be happy to e-mail you their
coordinates, outside of the listserv.

Good luck with your work!

Diana
-----------