From:
Judy Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:49:58 -0600
ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING
SEPTEMBER 2005 ISSUE OF RESEARCH UPDATE

1. What's in this issue?

2. News from the Alberta Centre for Active Living

------------------------------

1. WHAT'S IN THIS ISSUE?

Centre article:
"Adolescent Physical Activity: Reasons for Relapse," by Tanya R. Berry, PhD,
Alberta Centre for Active Living and Faculty of Physical Education and
Recreation, University of Alberta; Patti-Jean Naylor, PhD, School of
Physical Education, University of Victoria; Joan Wharf Higgins, PhD, School
of Physical Education, University of Victoria.
www.centre4activeliving.ca/Research/ResearchUpdate/index.htm

Saskatchewan Population Health & Evaluation Research Unit (SPHERU) article:
"Using Online Communication Technologies to Network Front-Line Health-Care
Workers," by Terry Gibson, Master's student, University of Saskatchewan,
Public Health Inspector and Supervisor, Built Environments, Saskatoon Health
Region, with the assistance of Fleur Macqueen Smith, Saskatchewan Population
Health and Evaluation Research Unit (SPHERU).
www.centre4activeliving.ca/Research/ResearchUpdate/index.htm

--------------------------------------

2. NEWS FROM THE ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING

a. Centre Welcomes New Research Associate
Dr. Tanya Berry joins us from Wilfrid Laurier University where she was in
the Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education. Her research interests
are primarily in exercise psychology from a health-promotion perspective.
She is a firm advocate for physical activity and looks forward to the
opportunity to meet with practitioners interested in active living. Her own
activity extends to running, mountain biking and cross-country skiing, and
she participated in her first adventure race last summer.

b.  Workplace Physical Activity Framework a Recommended Resource
The Health Communication Unit at the Centre for Health Promotion (University
of Toronto) (www.thcu.ca) has included the centre's Workplace Physical
Activity Framework as a "Recommended Practice" in a print and online
resource for Ontario workplace health practitioners to be published this
fall.

c. Centre to Launch New Web Site (www.centre4activeliving.ca)
A new, vibrant web site design will allow you to find physical activity
information much more easily on our site. We're currently reviewing all
resources on our existing site to ensure that our new site is as up-to-date
and accurate as possible. In addition, a new and more powerful search
feature will allow you to find resources much more easily. Watch for more
news about the launch of the new site later this fall.

d. National Parks and Recreation Conference, Trade Show, and Symposia
Edmonton, AB: October 12 to 15, 2005
The National Parks and Recreation Conference and Trade Show includes four
simultaneous national/international symposia as well as the National Parks
and Recreation Conference and Trade Show. These events will run at the same
time as the National Parks and Recreation Conference.
www.2005.ARPAonline.ca

e. New Listserv for Community-Health Professionals
Coordinated by the University of Ottawa Community Health Research Unit and
funded by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care, CHNET-Works! is
a national online network forum for community-health professionals. Between
September and December 2005, one of the forum's focuses will be physical
activity (issues and implementation in a community-health context).
www.chnet-works.ca

----------------------

Kathy Garnsworthy
Communications and Marketing Coordinator
Alberta Centre for Active Living
(In office Mon., Tues., Wed., and Fri.)
Tel.: 780 415-6248
www.centre4activeliving.ca

If you have received this message more than once, we apologise. We try to
distribute our information as widely as possible. As we send out through a
variety of distribution networks, some of you may receive this message more
than once. If you would like to unsubscribe from our mailing list, please
contact Margaret Burns at [log in to unmask]