From:
Susan Roelofs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:49:47 -0500
We introduced Susan Rifkin's 'spider web' model to our Chinese partners in
the Canada-China Yunnan Maternal and Child Health Project several years ago.
Senior Chinese trainers (working at provincial and prefecture levels) used
it as a self-evaluation tool, and also used it during guidance and
supervision visits to county-level trainees, township doctors, village
doctors, and midwives to assess their pre/post capacity development. The
'spokes' on the web were: communication and group skills; dialogue;
practical (clinical) skills; community-based process; critical analysis
skills; enabling strategies; personal growth; and participation.

Trainers reported that they found it easy to use, and that the visual
pictures of increased capacity were useful for discussion with trainees, and
less intimidating for themselves and trainees than giving a numeric score
(assessing pass/fail or giving numeric scores sometimes would have
implications for trainee promotion etc at their work place.)

Regards,
Susan Roelofs
International Projects Coordinator
School of Nursing, University of Ottawa