From:
Alison Stirling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:42:14 -0500
Thanks Susan and Liz for bringing our attention to these great 'old
tools'. I have used both the Rifkin 'spiderweb' and Arnstein's ladder in
consultations with community groups on assessing leadership, participation
and capacity building. Unfortunately, it's been a few years and I do not
have access to my files to determine exactly how they were used.

I came across the Bjaras, Haglund and Rifkin 'spiderweb' recently in an
excellent health promotion 'tool'. It is the 64 page pdf "Health Promotion
Capacity Checklists: A Workbook for Individual, Organizational and
Environmental Assessment" from the Prairie Region Health Promotion
Research Centre (April 2004).  In it, they suggest that the graphic could
be used as a visual record of progress in health promotion domains (p.
13).  You can access this tool at the PRHPRC at
http://www.usask.ca/healthsci/che/prhprc/programs/finalworkbook.pdf

If there are people on the CLICK4HP list who have applied this checklist
or the Rifkin tool, it would be great to hear how they worked, and if they
were used with community groups.

Alison Stirling