From:
Julie Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2011 15:40:12 -0400
Hi There
I am doing some education on comprehensive health promotion with health professionals to help them expand their approach to health issues beyond the single strategy of health education with individual families.

I am looking for some kind of short video or a story or a handout that tells a story/gives a picture of how using a comprehensive health promotion approach can improve the situation not only for the individual family but for the community as well, especially with regard to child and family health.

I am aware of the Unnatural Causes resource and the Sudbury and District Health Unit videos about health equity, talking about health without saying health care etc.  They are great resources for explaining why things are the way they are and how they need to change. But what I would really like is to show my group some success stories in the area of child and family health to inspire them and assure them that making these changes to how they work will indeed benefit their families.

alpha and OPHA created a great handout entitled "Understanding the Role of Public Health in Chronic Disease Prevention in Ontario".  It tells a good story about working with community partners and using a variety of health promotion strategies to address the factors and conditions that impact the prevalence of chronic diseases, but the interventions only start once the children are in school and it hardly mentions anything about healthy family dynamics or mental health. .  Does anyone know if there is something like this but more applied to early child and family health issues? Something like the Mustard/McCain vision in video?

Can anyone share some resources that could help?
I'd appreciate it!
Thanks!

Julie Hill,  RN, BScN
Region of Waterloo Public Health
99 Regina St. S. Waterloo, ON N2J 4V3
(519) 883-2003 Extension 5863     Fax: (519) 883-2241