From:
Kathy Garnsworthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 11:49:07 -0700
1. NEW ISSUE OF RESEARCH UPDATE

2. NEWS FROM THE ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING

1. NEW ISSUE OF RESEARCH UPDATE

- “Highlights of the 2002 Alberta Survey on Physical Activity”
By Enrique Garcia, PhD, Research Associate, Alberta Centre for Active
Living, and John Spence, PhD, Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation,
University of Alberta.
An overview of results from the centre’s recent Alberta Survey of Physical
Activity. The complete results of the survey will soon be available on the
centre’s web site.

- “Sorting through Recent Developments in Dietary Advice for Weight Loss”
By Jayne Thirsk, PhD, RD, Regional Executive Director, Alberta & the
Territories, Dietitians of Canada.
What does the research say about Atkins-type diets? Jayne Thirsk looks at
the evidence for and against these low-carbohydrate, high-protein, and
high-fat diets.

You can access this issue at
www.centre4activeliving.ca/Research/ResearchUpdate/index.htm.

We welcome reprints of Research Update articles. If you would like to
reprint an article or to reproduce it on your web site, please contact Kathy
Garnsworthy at 780 415-6248 or [log in to unmask]

If you would like to be added to our mailing list, please contact Margaret
Burns at 780 427-6949 or [log in to unmask]

2. NEWS FROM THE ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING

- Changes to the Centre’s Web Site:
We’ve made big changes to several sections of our web site. The centre’s
site is an excellent source of best practices, current resources, and news
about many aspects of physical activity.

Our Education section (intended mainly for health practitioners) now
contains separate sections on physical activity and girls, as well as new
sections on obesity and cycling. This is in addition to existing resources
on chronic disease prevention, community health, Aboriginal health,
population health, walking, and workplace health. Visit the Education
section at www.centre4activeliving.ca/education.html.

The centre’s Older Adults section now also contains an expanded resources
section, including general and research resources, policy documents, and web
site links. You can access the Older Adults part of our web site at
www.centre4activeliving.ca/Education/OlderAdults/index.html.

Visit our Resource Library section for descriptions of many of our latest
acquisitions (www.centre4activeliving.ca/Education/ReLibrary.html).

The centre’s most recent Annual Report is now available on the web site at
www.centre4activeliving.ca/AboutUs/AnnualReport02-03.pdf. Find out about the
many projects and partnerships undertaken by the centre over the past year.

--------------------

- Staff Changes:
Warm congratulations to Dr. Ron Plotnikoff, the centre’s Senior Research
Associate, who was recently promoted from associate professor to full
professor in the Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation at the
University of Alberta. The centre’s Research Advisor, Dr. John Spence was
also recently promoted to associate professor in the same faculty.

We welcome Rosanne Prinsen as our new Resource Coordinator. Rosanne has a
BPE and an MSc (specializing in injury management and prevention). She
recently finished contract work with the Alberta Centre for Injury Control &
Research and until the end of this year is teaching anatomy and physiology
courses at King’s University College in Edmonton. Rosanne will be managing
the centre’s resource library and answering information requests.

We also welcome Gilda Lagrange. Gilda has a BPE and will be part-time
(afternoons) as our Office Assistant. Gilda shares this position with our
morning Administrative Assistant, Margaret Burns.

-----------------

- World Conference on Aging and Physical Activity:
August 3-7, 2004, London, Ontario
The Canadian Centre for Activity and Aging will host the sixth World
Congress on Aging and Physical Activity - the first time that this
prestigious event has been held in Canada. The theme selected by the host
committee is "Research to Action for an Aging Society."Abstracts are due by
January 15, 2004. For more information, visit www.uwo.ca.

Kathy Garnsworthy
Communications and Marketing Coordinator
Alberta Centre for Active Living
Edmonton AB
Tel.: 780 415-6248 (Mon./Tues./Wed./Fri.)
www.centre4activeliving.ca
"Research and education for the promotion of physical activity."