SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Chrystal Ocean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:20:10 -0400
[I am posting this release, since the new party is a direct result of
experiences related to the SDOH.]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - July 12, 2005
FEMINIST INITIATIVE OF BC - NEW POLITICAL PARTY
Duncan, British Columbia.

The FemINist INitiative of BC announces its registration as a provincial
political party with Elections BC.

BACKGROUND:
On May 20, 2005 three distinct groups of events merged to augur the FemINist
INitiative of BC.
i) In May 2005, the Stronach incident in Ottawa reinforced the point that
little had changed to bring civility to politics.
ii) On May 17, 2005, 58% of BC voters chose BC-STV, while political leaders
pondered whether the express will of the people should be followed.
iii) Three women in poverty, coming together through the group WISE, had
doggedly worked to communicate with political parties and politicians at all
levels of government about the existence and effects on society of systemic
marginalization. It took about a year for their hope to turn to cynicism.
The three women of WISE became Founders of the FemINist INitiative of BC. By
June 22, 2005, the party had a constitution, a website, and had become
registered with Elections BC.

The FemINist INitiative of BC accepts the original premise of feminism, that
the feminine in all of us – women and men – has as much value to ourselves
and to society as the masculine. We accept that differences between women
and men exist and we value those differences. We are pro-women and pro-men,
and as such, we strive to achieve a balance between the feminine and
masculine in the governance of all society's institutions.

Over the next four years the FemINist INitiative of BC will, through a
process of grassroots consultation and consensus building, develop a party
and candidates guided by the values of INclusiveness, INtegrity, INvolvement
and INnovation.

We will strive for harmony by working toward achieving a society in which
its cultural, social, political and economic institutions reflect the
balance of the feminine and the masculine inherent in British Columbia's people.

We will reach out to members of our society who have been marginalized by
societal biases, the bureaucratic wall of silence, and political bungling
and lack of awareness. We will encourage their meaningful participation in
the formation of policy affecting their lives, because we respect that they
– not politicians, not bureaucrats, not academics – are more apt to know
what is best for them.

We will bring civility and openness to the political realm and respect for
those whose views we may not share.

We will demonstrate through action, and talk without double-speak, that
INclusiveness, INtegrity and INnovation can reignite the electorate,
inspiring the INvolvement of voters in the political process.

We invite interested persons to visit the website of the FemINist INitiative
of BC, where they will find information on our history, values,
Constitution, views on feminism, and membership and volunteer opportunities.

- 30 -

CONTACT INFORMATION:
Chrystal Ocean, Co-Leader
FemINist INitiative of BC
http://www.feministinitiative.bc.ca/
250-748-8093

A 300dpi JPG photo is downloadable from our website (see Media). A 600dpi
TIFF photo is available upon request.