SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Robert C Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:24:42 -0600
Please do not let our crazy systems prevent needed preventive testing for
you or for anyone.

Sadly I get 2 or 3 calls a month regarding absolute strangers in huge need
of health care, as identified by tests that I did not order, and even the
physician ordering the test not uncommonly dumps giving the bad news on my
doorstep.

Such is the collapse of primary care and a non-system where people are left
out while others call their own shots and both suffer not having a
coordinator of some sort.

New wrinkle is ultrasound screenings at churches and other organizations.
Head to toe ultrasound is about 20 different tests. Of course probability
in much of our testing is that for every 20 tests, one will be positive
anyway.

Just had a patient with a screening that indicated a spot on the liver.
What does this mean? Largely unknown. We have never screened all humans for
ultrasound, only symptomatic ones. Same problem when we starting massively
increasing CT and MRI scans and had less clue about normal variants.

So who does the patient call, you guessed it, me. Probably nothing but...
so we do some blood tests

Guess what, more anomalies in the blood that might match up to liver.

So we do a CT scan and again, probably nothing but fatty tissue confluence,
but....

Fortunately I repeated the blood tests at the same time and now they are
normal. This of course presents the dilemma of which set of tests was wrong
by the same lab in only a few days difference.

At this point I pulled the plug because I had no real indication of a
consistent problem by ultrasound, CT, or lab tests. Also the next step was
painful and dangerous liver biopsy on what was probably fatty tissue.

Sadly she will need some other costly testing in the future, at least lab
and possibly scans if she gets too nervous.

A "free" screening ended up costing nearly $1500 (my estimate) and could
have even killed her.

Just makes you want to line up at your local screening, doesn't it?

Robert C. Bowman, M.D.