SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Laurel Rothman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 10:24:28 -0400
Hello Tracy,
Much of the work that we at Campaign 2000, a cross-Canada coalition of more
than 90 organizations working to monitor the implementation of the 1989
House of Commons unanimous, all-party resolution to end child poverty,
focuses on why children and their families are poor.  Our most recent policy
perspectives paper, Pathways to Progress: Structural Strategies to Address
Child Poverty, makes a number of recommendations aimed at improving the life
chances for children in working poor families.  They include the
establishment of a Fed/Prov Living Wage Commission to develop some
strategies to increase the amount of good jobs with decent wages and
benefits.  Living wage ordinances in the U.S. is a strategy that more than
100 municipalities are using.  Also, the Learnsave demonstration project
adopts a different strategy, which is to assist low-income working poor
people to build their assets through a matched savings plan.  This is a
demonstration project funded by HRDC or I guess it is Social Development
Canada and implemented by SEDI, whose full name is Social Entrepreneurial
Devlopment Initiatives (I think.)  So, check out www.campaign2000.ca to get
our policy paper.
Laurel Rothman, Director
Community Building & Social Reform