SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 07:36:48 -0500
from Policy Press in Bristol UK:

Dear Colleague,

Welcome to March's e-bulletin from The Policy Press.

It seems as if our urban environments have a lot more to withstand than the
heavy wind and rain we've seen over the last few weeks. John Hills,
co-author of 'A more equal society?' and the forthcoming 'Making social
policy work', recently published his Ends & Means report on the 'Role of
social housing', providing government with recommendations on how reforms
can ensure that social housing helps wider objectives such as reducing
inequality and allowing people to make the best of their lives. The
complete report can be read at:
http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/case/publications/reports.asp

In the same vein, Jigsaw cities is published this month. A new title in the
CASE Studies on Poverty, Place and Policy series - edited by John - it
explores the reasons behind Britain's urban decline and the potential for
smart growth, mixed communities and sustainable communities. What's more,
you can save 15% off the other titles in the series, along with a selection
of our other books at:
https://www.policypress.org.uk/page.php?name=specialoffers

March also sees the publication of 'Using evidence' by Sandra Nutley,
Isabel Walter and Huw Davies, which looks at our understanding and
enhancement of evidence use, and 'Transforming society?' by Graeme Simpson
and Vicky Price, a new textbook addressing the way in which sociology 'fits
with' the lives of people in contemporary society that will be essential
reading for social work and social care students. We are also publishing
two reports in association with the JRF this month: 'Work-rich and
work-poor' and 'Changing neighbourhoods'.

See below for details on all new titles or go to our website
(https://www.policypress.org.uk) to browse these new titles along with our
complete catalogue.

Our other exciting news this month is that The Policy Press catalogue for
2007 is now available. Those of you subscribed to our catalogue mailing
list should have received your copy, or will do very soon. If you are not
subscribed, and would like a copy, simply email me - I will send you a copy
and add you to our list for next year. Of course, all our titles feature in
our online catalogue (https://www.policypress.org.uk/catalog/)

Finally, keep your eyes open for emails from us over the coming weeks as we
will be bringing you news of some exciting special offers... more
information to come soon!

With best wishes,

Jessica

NEW TITLES THIS MONTH
*********************

Using evidence: How research can inform public services
by Sandra Nutley, Isabel Walter and Huw Davies
There is widespread commitment across public service agencies in the UK and
elsewhere to ensuring that the best available evidence is used to improve
public services. The challenge is not only making research evidence
accessible and available but also getting it used. This book provides a
timely and novel contribution to understanding and enhancing evidence use.
https://www.policypress.org.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=10135&products_id=934
Sample chapters can be read in our website reading room:
https://www.policypress.org.uk/general/reading_room.php

Transforming society?: Social work and sociology
by Graeme Simpson and Vicky Price
This book explores the sociological basis of contemporary society and shows
how social workers experience tensions and contradictions in practice.
Using case studies and self directed activities it enables students to
relate sociology to daily lives.
https://www.policypress.org.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=10099&products_id=1082

Jigsaw cities: Big places, small spaces
by Anne Power and John Houghton
This new book explores Britain's intensely urban and increasingly global
communities as interlocking pieces of a complex jigsaw; they are hard to
see apart yet they are deeply unequal.  How did our major cities become so
divided? How do they respond to housing and neighbourhood decay? Jigsaw
Cities examines these issues using Birmingham, Britain's second largest
city, as a model of pioneering urban order and as a victim of brutal
Modernist planning.
https://www.policypress.org.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=10114&products_id=865
Sample chapters can be read in our website reading room:
https://www.policypress.org.uk/general/reading_room.php

NEW REPORTS THIS MONTH
**********************

Work-rich and work-poor: Three decades of change
by Richard Berthoud
This report analyses trends over the past thirty years that have combined
to increase inequality between the work-rich (families with two jobs) and
the work-poor (families with no job) - the proportion of which has doubled
from 7 per cent to 14 per cent over 30 years. The author provides an
understanding of how we reached the current position, and offers valuable
clues on directions for future policy.
https://www.policypress.org.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=10104&products_id=1216

Changing neighbourhoods: Lessons from the JRF Neighbourhood Programme
by Marilyn Taylor, Mandy Wilson, Derrick Purdue and Pete Wilde
This report shares the experience of a four-year programme that was set up
to explore how neighbourhood activity could best be supported. It follows
the progress of twenty very different neighbourhood organisations across
three countries to explore the opportunities and challenges of
neighbourhood renewal from a community perspective.
https://www.policypress.org.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=10129&products_id=1388

If you no longer wish to receive e-updates from The Policy Press, please
email [log in to unmask] with a subject of "UNSUBSCRIBE" and we'll
remove you from the mailing list as quickly as possible. You can also
unsubscribe at
https://www.policypress.org.uk/forms/mailing_list_form.php