SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Moira Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 2004 13:02:17 -0400
Hello,

Rena Papadopoulos asked about data on the extent to which the everyday practices of health professionals are evidence-based. As a non-nurse/non-physician health professional. I would like to comment that it may not be helpful to group all health care practitioners into one category for this kind of statement as their work varies widely. Nor would such an aggregate figure necessarily be representative: there are many under-researched health professions for whom this type of data just has not been envisioned, let alone collected. While there may be such data available for physicians and nurses, I would be cautious about extrapolating  it to health professonals in general and would investigate whether, at some point, it involved overgeneralization. Such are the limits of evidence-based research, I suppose!

Moira Grant, PhD, MLT, ART
Medical Laboratory Science Program
Faculty of Health Sciences
University of Ontario Institute of Technology
Oshawa  Canada