SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Ketan Shankardass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 2011 16:29:00 -0400
Elaine -

I think it's a brave and provocative opinion - thanks for sharing.

As there has been a hard-won growing acceptance of the need to tackle
poverty around the world, it feels like the trend among countries that
emphasize individual freedoms (e.g., the liberal democratic "welfare
states") is to respond by emphasizing the need to fashion the safety
net out of the community/charitable sector.  I'm thinking specifically
of Bush Jr and Cameron. And it's a fair point that we can value and
rely on these resources to some extent, but emphasizing this approach
- even making it the keystone of a national strategy as Cameron is
currently doing - helps to shift responsibility away from the state.

In turn, I thought that this was the key line from your piece that I
hope Globe readers will connect with: "The problem, however, is too
big for community-based charities to solve.".

On a related note, can anyone (Denis?) share what they feel are key
speeches or articles that articulate the current Federal or Ontario
(Provincial) political position on how to tackle problems of health or
social inequity?  As far as we've come on this issue, it remains
largely absent come election time...

Thanks again - Ketan.

Ketan Shankardass, PhD

-
Assistant Professor
Department of Psychology
Wilfred Laurier University
-
Associate Scientist
Centre for Research on Inner City Health
in the Keenan Research Centre
of the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute
of St. Michael’s Hospital
-