From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 12:33:42 -0400
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/national/000809/4553778.html

West Nile virus 'more of a scare
 than a problem'

 Massive pesticide spraying would be worse
 than the disease, expert says

 Laura Landon
 The Ottawa Citizen

 As West Nile virus wends its way closer to Canada, experts emphasize that
 it poses a minimal public health threat and overzealous attempts to stave
it off
 -- such as massive pesticide spraying -- could pose a greater risk than the
 virus itself.

 "Right now, it's more of a scare and a worry than a problem," said Bill Fong,
 head of infectious diseases at St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto.

 "It's unlikely we'll have any major problems with this. And most people who
 get the infection won't even know it."

 Pesticides -- which Health Canada says it will consider spraying if the
 disease is detected in Canadian birds or mosquitoes -- stand to affect more
 people than the virus, say other experts and environmentalists.

 "People getting sick or having serious consequences (from West Nile virus)
 is far lower than the diseases they cause by spraying all those poisons,"
said
 Edith Angelopoulos, an entomologist at Dalhousie University in Halifax.

 "We're hurting more than we're solving."

 On Sunday, U.S. health authorities identified West Nile virus in a dead crow
 about 15 kilometres from the Canadian border, prompting a new rash of
 reports and speculation that the virus was already in Canada.

 Health Canada and provincial ministries of health have been on alert since
 the virus turned up in New York a few months ago -- the second season the
 exotic, mosquito-borne virus appeared in North America. As yet, it has
 never been detected in Canada.

 New Yorkers bearing witness to the West Nile virus-inspired fear currently
 sweeping their city issued a warning to Canadians this weekend: "This virus
 rarely kills people. Don't let the media scare you. Think for yourself.
 Examine the evidence," said Elizabeth Shanklin, secretary of the New York
 arm of the Green Party. While the New York City department of Health
 reports that roughly 2,600 people die from the flu and pneumonia each year,
 West Nile virus poses a comparatively small threat, critics say.

 "Children in this city die from asthma in record numbers. They die from
 poverty," said Ms. Shanklin, who opposes New York's attempts to stave off
 West Nile virus by spraying the city with pesticides. "We have serious issues
 (and) West Nile virus is obscuring serious issues."

 West Nile virus -- which can cause potentially deadly encephalitis -- first
 appeared in North America last summer. It killed seven people in New York
 -- including one Canadian tourist -- and caused serious illness in 55 others.
 Hundreds of others tested positive for West Nile antibodies -- proving they
 had been exposed to the virus. But they never became ill, since the virus is
 mainly a threat to people with lowered immune systems. Of the seven people
 who died from the virus last year, three were receiving cancer treatments and
 one was HIV-positive, though hadn't been diagnosed with AIDS. All of the
 victims were aged 68 to 87.

 Similarly, the median age of those who became seriously ill with the virus
 was 68.

 So far this year the virus has infected one person. On Aug. 4, authorities
said
 a 78-year-old Staten Island man, who had been hospitalized days earlier,
 was home recovering from the virus. Several dead birds and some
 mosquitoes in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts and
 Maryland have tested positive for the virus as well.

 And although the U.S. Centres for Disease Control and Canadian and U.S.
 health experts maintain the disease poses a relatively small public health
 threat, West Nile paranoia -- fuelled by the media and strong government
 precautionary measures -- is reaching a fevered pitch.

 New York's mayor, as well as health authorities in Boston, embarked on
 controversial pesticide spraying programs in an effort to kill virus-carrying
 mosquitoes. Authorities in New York's Orange County also dropped
 larvicide in 30,000 municipal storm drains.

 The spraying raised the anger of local environmentalists and people sensitive
 to chemicals, including several women with breast cancer.

 "It's an arrogant disregard for the potential health effects associated with
 pesticide exposure," said Jay Feldman, executive director of the National
 Coalition Against Pesticide Misuse. His organization is filing a lawsuit
against
 the city of New York, saying its extensive pesticide spraying is endangering
 people with weak immune systems -- ironically, the same people most at
 threat from West Nile virus.

 The objections to mosquito spraying are rippling further than Manhattan.

 The New York Times reports that lobster fishermen in New York and
 Connecticut are also blaming malathion -- a pesticide the city used to quell
 West Nile virus last year -- for causing the biggest lobster kill ever to hit
 Long Island Sound. Roughly 11 million lobsters -- more than 90 per cent of
 the full-sized population -- mysteriously died last fall.
Visit our Web Site for information about our Seniors Participatory and
Community Quality of Life Projects!  Free Reports Also.

  http://www.utoronto.ca/qol      http://www.utoronto.ca/seniors

  Long have I looked for the truth about the life of people together.
  That life is crisscrossed, tangled, and difficult to understand.
  I have worked hard to understand it and when I had done so
  I told the truth as I found it.

  - Bertolt Brecht

Dennis Raphael, Ph.D.
Associate Professor