From:
Barbara Krimgold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 15:37:11 -0500
To John Butler,

Thanks for your very interesting response.  My remark was indended
only as a caution about what's attributed to EO Wilson.  Consilience had
a wonderful description about the "jumping together" of multi-
disciplinary research.  But I have heard "consilience" used twice
recently at population health conferences, where the implication
seemed to be that the social determinants of health work followed
up on EO Wilson's book, whereas it seems to me that his book takes
multidisciplinary scientific work in quite a different direction.

Nonetheless, I am truly delighted to be on this listserve and to have
colleagues in Canada who are engaged in health research, policy
making, community programming -- and the "knowledge exchange"
and partnering among these groups -- many of whom are willing to deal
with this messy business of trying to understand each other and work
together for some shared goals ie improving health & reducing health
inequalities.  And that crosses disciplines and professions, as well as
the theory-to-practice spectrum.

Barbara Krimgold