From:
Babar Sher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:49:53 -0600
Dear List Serve Members!!

I am taking the liberty of forwarding this message to you in the interest of exploring work opportunities in the social development sector of Canada. I am a young professional expecting my immigration in the beginning of year 2004.

I have got my master degree in Sustainable International Development from The Heller Graduate School of Brandeis University, Massachusetts.  I am currently working for the Southeast Community Research Center (SCRC), Atlanta as a Research Associate. Here I am working on a program to increase capacity within African American community (lay and expert) to engage in health disparity research and intervention and also working on strategies to enhance community participation in Institutional Review Boards (IRB's) to maintain ethical standards in biomedical research.

Before joining SCRC, I was affiliated with the Loka Institute.  The Loka Institute is one of the leading organizations worldwide concerned with amplifying the individuals voices in research, science and technology decision-making.  In Loka, I did my research project "Developing a manual of guidelines for Community Based Participatory Research", and did Community Research Network (CRN) and The Loka evaluation to develop recommendation for their future work.

In Pakistan I worked with the Cavish Development Foundation, a national NGO.  My work with Cavish focused on institutional development, participation, health, gender and education.  I was primarily involved in working with the partner community based organizations to identify their needs for institutional development and to devise and implement strategies to address those needs. I also worked with ACTIONAID-Pakistan. There my major role was to facilitate the local communities in needs identification, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development activities.

This cross-cultural and international working experience has enhanced my aptitude generally.  Specifically I have become adept at Community-Based Participatory Research methods.  This includes networking expertise, health disparities, environmental health, capacity building, participatory monitoring and evaluation, community economic development and community management.

I would appreciate you all of your guidance and suggestions to explore opportunities in Canada to make this move successful and sustainable. I would be more than happy to forward my resume should anyone of you need to take a detailed look at my work experience.

Sincerely,

Babar Sher (Mr.)

(Research Associate)
Southeast Community Research Center (SCRC)
Building Democracy Through Research
Mobile: 404-723-3596

Email: [log in to unmask]