From:
Peter Levesque <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2009 23:13:43 -0500
Peter and Click4HP colleagues,

This is a terrific resource - thank you.

There are two books that may be of some further interest to those interested
in issues of access:
Nicolas Carr (former editor of Harvard business Review) The Big Switch:
Rewiring the World form Edison to Google examines how we be soon plugging
into data rather than wasting our time managing it (
http://www.nicholasgcarr.com/bigswitch/)

John Battelle (cofounding editor of Wired) The Search: How Google and its
rivals rewrote the rules of business and transformed our culture.
http://battellemedia.com/thesearch/

Another Classic: John Seely Brown: The Social Life of Information.  Data and
information is for machines - it becomes knowledge when it acquires a social
life.

Access is both conceptual and physical - this duality is a constant issue
for anyone involved in pop health/public health/health promotion.

Publishing is going the route of mass customization - every format available
for every desired audience

An example: I edit a new online open-access peer-review journal: Manifestation:
Journal of Community Engaged Research and Learning Partnerships (
www.manifestationjournal.org)

Accepted articles are made available to be shared in four ways:
1) As a complete edition, free for download as PDF file.
2) Each contribution is available as an individual PDF file.
3) Each contribution has a corresponding blog entry for readers to comment.
4) A bound paper edition is available for purchase at the cost of $20.

We are now considering audio and video excerpts and perhaps complete
articles.  And we are getting requests for other languages and summaries and
syntheses and ...

But this cannot be done within the academy by itself - it is both too big
and too important to be left to any one sector of our intellectual resource
base.  By AUCC own admission, universities and teaching hospitals account
for approx. 32% of research output.

If you are interested, we will be announcing the following two conferences
next month:

November 2-3, 2009, Ottawa: Community 2.0: technology for a human touch -
the role of social networking in supporting community-university research
and practice

December 10-11, 2009, Toronto: UCBIG Connections: Creating Networks of
Outcomes - International Knowledge Mobilization Conference
(UCBIG is University Community Business Individual Government)

--
Peter Norman Levesque
Director, Knowledge Mobilization Works

Register for Human Resources for Knowledge Mobilization Workshop
http://www.regonline.ca/63364_683901D

Register for Leadership for Knowledge Mobilization Workshop
http://www.regonline.ca/63367_694430J

Join the KMb Workshop Group:
http://groups.google.com/group/kmbworkshops

Download the latest edition of Manifestation Journal:
http://web.mac.com/peterlevesque/ManifestationJournal/Volume1Number1.html

Download New Call: Funding Community Partnerships
http://www.manifestationjournal.org

Join the Manifestation Journal Group:
http://groups.google.com/group/manifestation-journal