From:
Anne Cogdon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:05:13 -0400
Hello
We are currently exploring methods to assess the health priority needs
of communities across our district (Capital Health, Nova Scotia which
includes Halifax Municipality and the county of West Hants).  Up to this
point our method of community consultation has been mainly face to face
- either inviting people to meetings, being placed on the agenda of
meetings by groups and organizations, holding focus groups, etc.  In
addition, we have developed a short survey that is distributed to
selected groups and organizations with a return stamped envelope (return
rate is usually low).

We are currently investigating the appropriateness of conducting a
telephone survey with a representative sample of our population to
gather info on health prioroties (for health service planning but also
to gain insight re the broader determinants of health).

Has anyone used this method? Are there survey tools available that we
should review?  Is there literature that we should review?

Any advice/assistance you can give would be very much appreciated.

Anne Cogdon

Anne Cogdon
Director of Community Health
Dartmouth and Southeastern
Marshall Treatment Centre
294 Pleasant Street
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
B2Y 3S3
(902) 465-8578

Confidentiality: This email message may contain confidential
information and is intended only for the individual named. If you
are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute
or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by email
if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email
from your system. Email transmissions cannot be guaranteed to be
secure or error free as information could be intercepted, corrupted,
lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.
The sender therefore does not accept any liability for errors or
omissions in the contents of this message that arise as a result
of email transmissions. If verification is required please request a hard
copy version.