SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 16:15:57 -0500
Nova Scotia's Health Goals: Provincial Health Council
In each report from preceding... URL
---------------------------------------
1. Health Promotion ? Promote and improve the health of all Nova Scotians.
While
continuing to provide quality health care, we will shift our emphasis to
the
promotion of health and the prevention of illness, disability, and
premature death.

2. Healthy Environment ? Make Nova Scotia a safe and healthy place to live.
To be
healthy, we need clean air, water, and soil, as well as safe place to life,
work, and play.
We will restore, protect, and develop our environments to support health.

3. Healthy Living ? Support the efforts of individuals, families, and
communities to lead
healthy lives. We will support each other in our efforts to understand the
factors that
affect our health and take the responsibility for those we can control.

4. Management ? Ensure that the resources needed to support health are
managed wisely
and fairly. Our taxes pay for the people, programs, equipment, and
facilities that support
health. These and other resources will be used in ways that are open,
effective,
efficient, and accountable.

5. Participation ? Involve Nova Scotians in decisions affecting health.
Opportunities and
support must be provided for all of us to participate in making decisions
about our health
and the health care system. All decision-makers are accountable to the
public for their
actions.

6. Social Justice ? Ensure that all Nova Scotians have the opportunity to
achieve health.
Poverty, unemployment, racism, illiteracy, violence, rural isolation, and
other issues
make it more difficult for some people to be as healthy as others. The
policies we put in
place must address these factors that affect our health.