SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dave Trudinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:09:54 +1000
Hi Daniel,
Limiting my comments to those that work specifically on these issues in
Western Sydney, you might be interested in the following contacts:
At the level of philosophy, Ghassan Hage's work (white nation etc etc) will
be useful, as will Tanja Dreyer (who has recently completed a PhD on
precisely these media debates (i think you will find her at UTS). You can
google all of that for paper details.
Linking theory to practice, in addition to Tanja, also Greg Noble, Scott
Poynting Paul Tabar ('kids, kebabs, cops' & 'bin laden in the suburbs')
have done extensive and useful research, they are based at UWS, as has
Chris Cuneen at Usyd.
Also useful would be the Institute for Cultural Research at UWS - who have
had direct involvement with the area health services on a number of service
delivery projects, as i think have the good folk at CHETRE (who are linked
to swsahs in liverpool).
At the level of communities themselves and their responses, I would suggest
you contact the people at the Information and Cultural Exchange (ICE) in
Granville, and you may also want to contact Donna Mosford at Fairfield City
Council (call or email) who (with many others) has been working on health
strategies with Sudanese young people. You might find more useful responses
and input not from 'science' but from the lived experience in communities.

_______________________________
Dr Dave Trudinger
Health Inequalities Project Leader
Partnership Development, Public Health
RRHACS, Department of Human Services

p: 61 3 9637 4004
f: 61 3 9637 4695
e: [log in to unmask]
w: http://www.health.vic.gov.au/healthpromotion
pa: Level 18, 120 Spencer St, Melbourne 3000

|---------+----------------------------------->
|         |           Daniel Davidson         |
|         |           NSW.GOV.AU>             |
|         |           Sent by: Social         |
|         |           Determinants of Health  |
|         |                                   |
|         |                                   |
|         |           07/07/2005 05:26 PM     |
|         |           Please respond to Social|
|         |           Determinants of Health  |
|         |                                   |
|---------+----------------------------------->
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                          |
  |        To:      [log in to unmask]                                                                            |
  |        cc:      (bcc: Dave Trudinger/HeadOffice/DHS)                                                     |
  |        Subject: [SDOH] Looking for research on SDs of crime & violence in communities                    |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

A public debate has arisen in Western Sydney print media with regard to
race as a lone predicator of criminality. Such arguments seem to come to
the fore perennially in the Australian media. In this instance an associate
professor of law at a prominent Sydney University is claiming, among other
things, that "People are criminals not because they are poor and
disadvantaged; they are poor and disadvantaged because they are criminals".

The associate professor is publicly advocating a reduction of the intake
African refugees with statements like, "Experience practically everywhere
in the world tells us that an expanding black population is a sure-fire
recipe for increases in crime, violence and a wide range of other social
problems".

It is not difficult to rebuff these claims, but I am specifically looking
for published research that can counter these arguments with a sound,
scientific basis. Can anyone suggest some good papers to me?

Daniel Davidson
Health Promotion Officer/ Active Over 50 Project Coordinator
Sydney South West Area Health Service
Hugh Jardine Building, Liverpool Hospital
Locked Bag 7017, Liverpool BC, NSW 1817
Ph: (02) 9828 5909
Fax: (02) 98285905

      "The principle upon which the fight against disease should be based
      is the creation of a robust body...Some day, therefore, medicine will
      have to convert itself into a science that serves to prevent disease
      and orients the public toward carrying out its medical duties."

      Che Guevara, 1960

 This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
 recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are
 not necessarily the views of Sydney South West Area Health Service.

------------------- Problems/Questions? Send it to Listserv owner:

To unsubscribe, send the following message in the text section -- NOT the
subject header -- to [log in to unmask] SIGNOFF SDOH

DO NOT SEND IT BY HITTING THE REPLY BUTTON. THIS SENDS THE MESSAGE TO THE
ENTIRE LISTSERV AND STILL DOES NOT REMOVE YOU.

To subscribe to the SDOH list, send the following message to
[log in to unmask] in the text section, NOT in the subject header. SUBSCRIBE
SDOH yourfirstname yourlastname

To receive messages only once a day, send the following message to
[log in to unmask] SET SDOH DIGEST

To view the SDOH archives, go to:
https://listserv.yorku.ca/archives/sdoh.html

This email contains confidential information intended only for the person named above and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying or use of this information is prohibited. The Department provides no guarantee that this communication is free of virus or that it has not been intercepted or interfered with. If you have received this email in error or have any other concerns regarding its transmission, please notify [log in to unmask]