SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:37:29 -0400
David Mercer and colleagues,

This is too bad. The Nova Scotia Provincial Health Council provided an
opportunity for an independent voice and independent evaluation of health
system performance.

Independent evaluation is necessary in Nova Scotia because Nova Scotia Bill
34, which enables district health authorities, imposes a serious conflict of
interest. The role of each district, according to the legislation,  is “To
govern, plan, manage, monitor, evaluate and deliver health services in a
health district”.

I agree with Minister MacIsaac who said the council has served us well as
we've come through an important period of transition.

David Zitner

>===== Original Message From Social Determinants of Health <[log in to unmask]>
=====
>An unfortunate announcement from the Nova Scotia Department of Health.
>

>HEALTH--Provincial Health Council Money Goes to Community Health
>Boards
>
>To direct more health dollars to the benefit of people in
>communities, the Minister of Health announced today, March 31,
>that the Department of Health is disbanding the Provincial Health
>Council in order to give ongoing and sustainable funding to
>community health boards.
>
>"We're committed to improving the health of Nova Scotians and
>with these new dollars in the Office of Health Promotion's
>budget, we can provide sustainable funding to community health
>boards to continue their valuable grassroots work," said Health
>Promotion Minister Rodney MacDonald. "We have to invest in health
>promotion today to create a healthy and strong province in the
>future."
>
>Angus MacIsaac, Minister of Health, thanked council members and
>staff for their valuable contribution and said the council has
>fulfilled its legislated duty to develop health policy and
>direction for the system over the past five years.
>
>All of the money previously dedicated to the council will flow to
>community health boards for local wellness and healthy living
>activities through the Office of Health Promotion. The annual
>budget for the Provincial Health Council was $348,000.
>
>"Every part of the provincial government must manage its spending
>effectively to ensure that services and benefits to Nova Scotians
>are protected and enhanced," said Mr. MacIsaac. "Now that Nova
>Scotia has a more fully integrated health system and the
>Department of Health has developed strong working relationships
>with many stakeholders, the mandate of the Provincial Health
>Council is being met through other channels."
>
>"The council has served us well these past five years as we've
>come through an important period of transition," said Mr.
>MacIsaac.
>

>David F. Mercer
>Research & Statistical Officer
>Nova Scotia Provincial Health Council
>1888 Brunswick Street, Suite 301
>Halifax, NS B3J 3P7
>Phone: (902) 424-0183

>SIGNOFF SDOH
>
>For a list of SDOH members, send the following message to [log in to unmask]
>REV SDOH
>
>To receive messages only once a day, send the following message to
>SET SDOH DIGEST
>
>To view the SDOH archives, go to: http://listserv.yorku.ca/archives/sdoh.html

David Zitner, M.A., M.D., C.C.F.P., F.C.F.P.
Director, Medical Informatics
Dalhousie University Faculty of Medicine
902-494-3802