SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 23:02:41 -0300
Good Evening Annette,
From what I read it seems that the Lang village Farm Association is a terrific
collaboration.

Sometimes community associations actually need money (distasteful as that
might be). Do you know if the Lang Farm Village Association will accept cash
contributions?

What of a mother, with a well paying job that she loves and which pays a high
salary - but where she must be at work from 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. And suppose
she was part of the sandwich generation and had parents who also required lots
of attention.  Would she be encouraged and be able to contribute cash rather
than an in kind contributions in order to have dignified access to the
Associations services?   Or would she be expected to be a free rider because
she had only money but no time to contribute?

When my daughters swam we could either sell oranges or make a cash
contribution to the swimming club; but each parent was expected to contribute
in some way because otherwise only wealthy children would have been able to
participate and travel to swimming meets.

There are many scenarios possible. The coops themselves will be best able to
organize their by-laws and regulations to specify how members will collaborate
to get their  financial and service needs met.

David Zitner

>===== Original Message From AnnetteAPenney <[log in to unmask]> =====
>I can respond to this topic very easily by simply stating the title of my
upcoming thesis work. "Health Status and Outcomes for Patients of Community
Health Centres: A Case for Inclusion of the Broader Social Determinants of
Health in Addressing Health Issues. A Case Study of Lang's Farm Village
Association."

>The answer to primary health care delivery woes is CHCs. This model of
primary health care addresses all of the social determinants of health by
providing access to services that address SDOH. The CHC is an empowerment
model and allows for community members to contribute by volunteering their
services in any of the many programs offerred if they want to. I will
contribute more over the next year on this as my thesis develops.

>Thank you for allowing me to contribute to this listserv.
>
>Annette A. Penney, Masters Student
>Community Psychology Program
>Wilfrid Laurier University
>75 University Avenue West
>Office N2068, Science Building
>Waterloo, ON  N2L 3C5
>Tel. 519-884-0710 ext.2955

David Zitner, M.A., M.D., C.C.F.P., F.C.F.P.
Director, Medical Informatics
Dalhousie University Faculty of Medicine
902-494-3802